29 : Surrendering It

"Maggie!" Deven greets me the way he always does

"Maggie!" Deven greets me the way he always does. The look on his face is one of worry rather than his normal smile.

"Hi," I squeak, my anger now tamed to sadness. The minute I walked out, something inside me screamed that I shouldn't have left. But I couldn't stay with him. I was still too mad, still too hurt to process anything.

Deven wraps me into his thin arms. "Are you okay? I was so worried by the way you sounded on the phone."

"I'm ... I'm fine now. Don't worry," I say, the hesitation betraying my words.

"What happened?"

I sniffle, though I'm not crying. "Things fell through with Daniel and I can't go home right now."

"You can't go home? Why not?"

I shake my head, not knowing what to tell him. Because Remy won't leave, I think to myself, and then suddenly tears start to come out. "I just can't," I whimper. I wipe my cheek and he gives me a pout. I'm sure he'd prefer I tell him more, but I've learned my lesson. "Can I stay here for the night?"

"Of course you can." He runs his hand up and down my back. "You're shivering. Can I make you some tea?"

I let him go. "I'd really like that. Thank you."

He takes a few steps into his kitchen, giving me an encouraging smile. "I'm so sorry all this is happening to you," he says as he pours the hot water. "I wish I could help more."

"You've helped more than you think." I climb up to sit on his countertop and then hug myself for warmth.

He hands me the steaming mug. As I let it warm my hands, he runs his hands over my thighs and calves, letting them come to a rest at the back of my knees. My shivering calms under his warm touch, though most of it isn't due to temperature.

As I wait for the tea to cool, I take a real look at him and see he's more dressed up than usual. A slim, dark shirt hanging over a very well-fitting pair of trousers, the perfect wave of his hair styled back and out of his face. He's a step up from his usual carefree, professor chic. "You have plans tonight," I say rather than asking.

He looks hesitant. "I did ... But I will cancel."

There's a pang in my chest at the thought of him leaving. "No, no, you should go. Have fun before your trip back home."

His mouth twists with reluctance. He absent-mindedly glances towards a paper hanging from his refrigerator. I look over and find they are his clean STD results. He's trying to get laid. "I feel as if I should stay," he says.

"No, I'll be fine. Really," I assure him. "Go."

Dev's smile returns. "Alright."

"But I am going to sleep in your bed," I warn him. "So, tell your date to take you back to his place. I'm not in the mood for a threesome tonight."