23 : Shattering It

The EMT dabs ointment on my wrist as I make another call

The EMT dabs ointment on my wrist as I make another call. My car is totaled. I'm lucky enough to have only a few scratches, but the married couple I T-boned are going to sue me for everything I'm worth -- all of it on top of mom's new bills. The increased amount of debt I just got myself into is barely a drop of a thought in the sea of fearful rage in which I'm still swimming.

I called Daniel again. Even though I knew he was away at his conference, I hoped he would answer and send someone else. I called Dev four times and he didn't answer -- probably busy in the lab seeing how I should be sitting in his class right now. I even called Cheshire for the first time since quitting the club. She answered, but there wasn't anything she could do for me.

"I'm so sorry, girl. I'm still in California for another two weeks," she tells me. "I was actually about to call you to see if your brother could help me find a place, but ... It looks like you have bigger fish to fry right now."

That's kind of an understatement. "Yeah."

"Call a cab, girl. I'll check in on you when I get back into town, okay?"

"Okay," I lie. We hang up soon after.

A cab isn't free and I have no money, which means I have no choice. I dial the number while my heart threatens to beat out of my chest.

"Hey, hon," he answers.

"Remy ..." I whimper. "I was in an accident."

♡♡♡

We've been sitting in silence since he picked me up. I stare over at him as he drives, knowing he's pissed. His hands grip the steering wheel so hard his knuckles are white. There's only one reason I'd be taking highway 93, and he knows it. He doesn't know exactly why I went to Phoenix, but when he finds out, he's going to be furious.  Lying isn't a thing we do. Or, it wasn't ...

A part of me wants to ask him if he knew but I don't know how I will react. I try desperately to wait until we make it back to his apartment, but it only grows more difficult with every minute that passes. The urge to tell him burns in my stomach like acid, threatening to come up my throat and right onto his expensive, leather seats.

We make it back to his apartment just in time. I breathe deeply while we pull into the parking garage. He parks, kills the engine, and gets out, slamming the door behind him. I follow him, dreading what will happen between us when everything comes out. 

My anger is only fractionally less blinding than my fear. I am so mad, but good God, I don't want to lose him ...

We get into the elevator and he punches the button for his floor. He stands with his arms crossed, glaring a hole into the doors in front of us. I fidget anxiously as I try to hold onto my last shred of courage.

"Remy," I say, my voice just above a whisper. "Say something."

"You first." He looks my way and my skin prickles. "Why were you in Phoenix?" My heart pounds nervously in my chest. My skin feels cold and achy. "Tell me you're not fucking Elliot again."