004

Trees after trees. I watched the greenery lining the highway as beside me Matthew drove towards the castle.

His wedding band shone on his ring finger and the warm feeling of nostalgia came crashing back down my chest. We had grown up so quickly. It felt like only yesterday when I had met my best friend. And now here he was, six years later, a successful financial accountant, a husband, soon to be dad, and the Royal Beta.

A small smile settled on my lips when his wedding day, an year ago, swirled back into my mind. Rome had been his best man.

Rome.

The same instinctual protectiveness I always got when I thought about my other best friend washed down on me and I reminded myself to call him and talk to him. He hadn't been in the best spirits after deciding to move into his dad's Germany castle  when I had talked to him last, before catching the flight.

I shook my head and refocused my attention on the more lighthearted of our trio. He still looked just like he did six years ago, except now he somehow looked more... mature. Refined.  It wasn't new though, it seemed like a werewolf thing.

As if noticing my eyes on him, Matthew glanced my way and smiled, the laughter lines beside his eyes crinkling with the same boyish amusement he always seemed to have. His palm found mine and he squeezed my hand gently.

"I missed you too, you know."

I smiled, tears welling in my eyes. It had been six years, a lot had changed, but Matthew and Romanov.. we were all still best friends.  That hadn't changed.

"I've never told you how much I appreciate you being in my life, Matt. All these years. Truly, I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for you." I mumbled, hooking my fingers with his as I thought back to the time when Matthew had saved me from the fall.

There was a silence in the car for a minute while both Matthew and I seemed too emotional to say anything. Suddenly leaning towards me Matthew sighed before kissing my head.

"You're never going to be able to get rid of me, Thi. Heads up, when the twins are born, you'll be Ethan's  godmother."

"Twins!?"  I suddenly exclaimed excitedly, turning towards Matthew.

Eyes on the road he chuckled and nodded, turning the wheels to take a right turn.

"Yeah, twins! Both boys. We've decided to name the oldest Emmet, and the younger baby, Ethan."

My grin widened and I flashed my broad grin at Matthew, popping my eyebrow up and down, "Rome will be Emmet's godfather, won't he?"

A loud laugh left Matthew's lips and again, he nodded. I grinned with him, happy to have my best friend and university mate so happy together, Charlotte was due in a month.

"He will, he will tell me to go shoot myself when I tell him at first, but he'll love being made a godfather—" he looked at me and his grin widened. "We know he will,"

I couldn't deny it, no matter how tough Rome acted, he was still a teddy at heart. Soft and cuddly.

"Big day today. Are you nervous?" Matthew suddenly enquired and I felt myself shudder from the suppressed nervousness.

The black square box I had tucked securely at the bottom of my handbag burned through the leather of my bag and I moved the bag a little to the left on my thighs.

I sighed, holding the bag tightly to me.

"I am, Matt. I'm freaking out." I admitted slowly, knowing Matthew would give me the best advices.

"He's got his suitcase packed and ready you know, his flight's in two hours."

I shrugged, knowing completely well Bryce had a flight in two hours, a flight to Cambridge. Where I was supposed to be.