Chapter 1 - On my nerves

Monday, November 7th, 2016

For me, there's nothing worse than feeling dependent on other's helping me out. It's not so much the fact I hate feeling dependent, because in all honesty, I am dependent on a lot of things I can't control.

Let's say I'm used to being dependent.

It's the fact that when there's any uncontrollable variable capable of messing with whoever I'm depending on, the rest of my day will depend on it too.

See, lot of dependence.

For instance, take today. My sister Pyper is ill, and she's ill every so often. It's one of those things I'm sort of used to.

But I depend on her putting out my outfit for the day on my bed while I'm in the shower. Mom already placed towels, underwear and whatnot on the rack in the bathroom the evening before. But today, I came out of the shower, to find my sister moving around my room as if she's dying, coughing, whimpering, whining in discomfort.

"You're getting germs all over my clothes."

"I'm trying, Ne," She whispers sadly. "Can you just give me a sec?"

"Uhm, no," I mutter in response, jumpy in my spot as my skin starts to tingle.

Don't you for a second think I'm spoiled or bratty, demanding them to do these things for me. Let's just say that experience shows this makes all of our mornings a whole lot easier.

"I just have to get you a sweater. I heard there's gonna be a thunderstorm and I don't want you to catch a cold."

"I'll catch a cold if I'll stand here for another couple of seconds, without clothes to keep me warm." It sounds snappy, but she's already throwing me of my regular path of habits and I don't want to blame her – she's sick – but I can't help but feeling a bit restless already.

I bet this is going to be a bad day.

"Grab the hoodie from The Cavern Club that you love so much." She turns around, smiling unsurely. "It'll fit with the shoes I picked."

"Are you sure?"

"One hundred percent." She nods happily, ending up in another coughing fit. "I'm going back to bed. Just remember to ignore those shitheads. I'll get back at them once my own lungs aren't trying to drown me in their disgusting fluids."

I can't help but chuckle and nod back at her, moving to start dressing as soon as she left the room and closed the door.

I grab the hoodie she told me to grab, hoisting the backpack I prepared in the evening onto my left shoulder, putting on the shoes that she picked right before I head over to the door. "Please, don't let Pyper's timing be a bad omen for today." I shortly look upwards to wish upon an invisible figure people worship, taking in a deep breath, tapping the light switch a couple of times, before flicking it off, all in the same upbeat tempo – we will, we will, rock you.

Don't ask.

Let's just be thankful I was able to execute it perfectly, casting a darkness over my room, before I open the door and head downstairs.

"Morning, sweety." Mom greets me with a smile, waiting for me to enter the kitchen while skipping the first two tiles, sitting down in my regular spot at the table. "A good morning, I assume?"

"Could be better, could be worse. Pyper is ill."

"I know, we're heading over to the hospital today. They want to take x-rays to make sure she doesn't need any further treatment."

"When are you going?"

"Long after you're out for school." She takes in a controlled breath, before she moves, first placing my plate, then my drink and lastly, my lunch. "And if anything is wrong, you can always call me. Dad is joining us in hospital, so he'll be able to stay with Pyper whenever I have to go and get you."