Chapter 5 - It's a first

Sunday, November 13th, 2016

"Pyper! Neo!" Our grandmother, dad's mother, greets us both by pulling us in a tight hug. "Oh, my little angels, look at how big you two are already!" She chuckles, squeezing mine and Pyper's cheek in the same time. "As if it was only yesterday that I changed either of your diapers..." She dwells over the past. "Such teeny tiny babies you two were."

"Mom, let them be." Dad chuckles, hugging and kisses his own mother happily. "Neo was persistent in visiting so that he could watch Supernatural with dad."

"Oh, the two of you and your series." Nana waves me off, and I happily hop over the mat, kick of my shoes, drop my backpack and head inside the living room.

Grandpa stands up from the couch with a wide smile. "Neo! My boy!" He spreads his arms and I attack him in a hug, nearly sending him off balance. He laughs, lifting me a bit in the air.

Since my parents aren't that old, my grandparents aren't that old either. Sure, grandpa has some trouble with his body since he's sixty-years-old, but he's still strong enough to lift a teenager like me a bit off the floor.

"Hi grandpa." I chuckle as he lets go of me.

"Come on!" He claps his hands. "Go wash your hands, your face, and come tell me what happened to your face." He taps my cheek three times, making sure to not hit the bruise.

"Right, on it." I smirk, hurrying towards the kitchen, feeling all energetic and excited to visit my grandparents. Call me childish, but their pampering always makes me feel welcome and loved. The casual attitude they have when it's about my OCD always makes me feel normal. As if it's just part of life and it's nothing out of the ordinary to wash off your face and hands after your grandma pecks a kiss on my cheek and grandpa touches my hands.

I listen happily to grandpa greeting Pyper, to grandma chatting away with mom and I smile at dad as he walks into the kitchen to put the cake we brought in the fridge.

"It always makes me happy to see you running around here." He chuckles, watching as I use the paper towels grandma always buys for me to dry my hands.

"Thanks for the last-minute visit. I know you and mom wanted to stay at home and relax for a bit."

"Hey, nothing more relaxing that having my parents keeping the two of you distracted." He winks, following me back inside the living room. I grab my backpack on the way over, sitting down next to grandpa, who is awaiting me telling what happened.

"So, the cheek?" He lifts an eyebrow as I retrieve a map from the backpack.

"Neo fought in school." Pyper chimes in with a smirk.

"Oh dear." Grandpa chuckles nonetheless. "Did you beat his ass?"

"I did not," I mutter. "Pyper did, though. She's suspended. But I got in a fight that caused her to react that way."

"Don't tell me the kid is still alive."

"What's it with this family wanting to murder the guy who hit me?" I frown but can't fight back a smirk anyway.

"Hey, they should leave my grandson alone." Grandpa winks, taking the map from my hold, opening it. "Let me see what new pictures you took."

"We had a fieldtrip a while ago and I put the pictures in that I took for the assignment I did to replace the field trip." I flip over the pages until the new polaroid's appear, proud of the result.

While my classmates went to a weird-ass museum to watch all sorts of weird art objects, I was told to go out into the city and take photographs of whatever art I found on my search.