Chapter 21 - Revealing the truth

A/N This chapter contains a mildly graphic description of a suicide attempt. Be cautious while reading it! Remember; suicide is never the answer. If you feel like it's the only way out, reach out and ask for help, because there's help out there.

Monday, January 9th, 2017

I've been nervous to go back to school for about a week now. Calo stopped texting me shortly after Christmas, and he didn't send me a text to congratulate me with my seventeenth birthday on New Year's Day.

I think it's safe to say he finally got the message; I refuse to be friends with someone who doesn't accept of me the way I fully am, gay or hetero shouldn't matter.

And when I walk into the classroom without skipping into it – I've got that far with a little bit of help from Dr. Delgado, and much help from my anger towards all judgemental people – the class goes silent.

It caused Calo to look up from his phone, and first he wants to smile, then his eyes behold pain, and then they flicker down towards my feet; in the spot I used to skip.

I send him a cold look before I move to sit down next to him without saying a word.

"Neo, you've got to listen to me." He instantly turned to look at me. "I do like you..."

"Stop it, Calo," I tell him with a chill tone-of-voice. "You do not accept me the way I am, so fuck you."

Gabriel and Hans, who are seated behind us in this class, holler at my insult, both with wide eyes that are full of amusement.

"You didn't skip..."

"It's none of your business anymore." I cut him short, casually grabbing my stuff, randomly throwing them on my desk. "But thanks for giving me the push I needed to stop caring about pretty much everything."

He swallows at my cold tone, my hurtful words, and the fact I keep turning him down.

"Nee..."

"It's Neo. Nee is for friends."

"Auch..." Calo swallows again, and when I look up, there's agony in his whole demeanour. He just stares at me with painfilled eyes before he slowly turns in his seat and stares towards the front of the classroom. "I'll leave you alone."

I take in a deep breath and nod in appreciation, now focussing on my stuff and searching for the homework we had to finish during Christmas break.

We've set the tone, and it lasts the rest of the day.

Jimmy and Luke tried to insult me in a couple of occasions, but they didn't bother me. I know plenty of people have secrets in this school, and I know plenty of them are a bit different from what is considered normal. Despite the fact Calo and I aren't friends, I still have plenty of people that want to hang out with me and I simply find myself not caring over any of Jimmy's or Luke's insults.

They stopped bothering me halfway throughout the day, and they started aiming for Calo, who isn't very responsive to the insults either.

They get visibly frustrated over the fact nobody seems to respond to their bullying, their jokes or any of the things they do.

And that's what should've alarmed me.

Jimmy and Luke do not like to be ignored. The last time something like this seemed to happen, they cornered me in the locker rooms and they've beaten me up pretty badly.

And that was before I stopped caring about their words.

And this time, they didn't aim for me. They stopped bothering me, like I said, and aimed for Calo.