Chapter 25 - Healing

Monday, January 30th, 2017

We stayed with my aunt and uncle for about a week since I was suspended anyway and Pyper was under my grandparents' care and doing well. She insisted on us helping out our aunt and uncle and support Milan.

I spoke to Calo over the phone and explained what had happened to Milan and why I wouldn't be able to visit him as long as I would be there.

I didn't really tell him much, other than the fact my cousin got in an accident during skiing and that he was now awaiting a long and hard recovery, still uncertain about his future in general.

I saw him awake a handful of times, but he isn't capable of remembering anything that happens while he is awake, let alone what happened in the past couple of weeks. He lost memories of about six months and every time he hears what happened and what's wrong with him, he breaks down crying, realising he probably won't be able to pursue any of his dreams.

It was heart-breaking, and I was exhausted when we came home on Sunday again. Not to even begin about the fact I had trouble to execute my compulsions because all of my cousins came home out of worry and to help out around the house while aunt Chantel and uncle Ricardo focussed on Milan.

It was crowded and taking a shower right after getting out of bed proved to be impossible with that much people in a house.

How did they do it before four of my cousins moved out?

So, I was slow in the mornings, but none of them said anything about my compulsions or the fact I stayed in bed until all of them were long ready.

Mom picked up outfits for every day of the week that had been picked by Pyper, so I could dress without panicking.

But all in all, I was exhausted and all I wanted was to sleep for days.

So, I slept since yesterday noon, until this morning, forced to get out of bed and go to school.

Dad is bringing grandma and grandpa over to my aunt and uncle because they're going to stay there for a while, and mom is in charge of Pyper and me and going to school.

And that's where I think my exhaustion hits me most.

Because I simply don't know how to respond to the first change presented to me; Luke, seated on top of my desk, nervously fiddling with his backpack. Jimmy is nowhere to be found.

I'm hesitant about walking towards him, but since I overpowered him in a fight, I find myself no long afraid of him, physically.

"What do you want?" I grumble as I reach my desk, gesturing for him to get off.

"Hey, eh..." he drawls, lolling his head from left to right, scratching his head right afterwards. "Can we talk?"

"I think we are already."

"Yeah, okay, right..." He clears his throat while I frown, wondering if he's actually afraid of me after I broke his nose – which still hasn't completely healed by the looks of it – and his jaw, which still shows a bruise. "I wanted to say I'm sorry."

I think I chocked on my breath, shocked by the words that I thought I heard him pronounce. "Excuse me?"

"I'm sorry, for everything." He mutters, ashamed and insecure. "I ehm... What I did was wrong, really wrong. Sick even."

"Did you grow a brain over night?" I frown again, again gesturing for him to get off my desk. "Did I knock some sense into your mind?"

He chuckles, though it sounds forced. "Mom made me read tons of articles about kids that committed suicide because of bullying."