Chapter 2: Gift and Grit.

The clashes of steel echoed throughout the battlefield, swift movements of both fighters whipped up sand from the ground. The bitter wind howled again, Jensen shuddered upon the coldness of the air as all his armor is discarded, leaving his torso bare and only canvas trousers are present beneath his waist.

  Jensen sliced with precision, but the impact landed on his enemy's blade instead, he then shifted to a defensive stance, only dodging and parrying all attacks from his opponent.

  "No hurry..." he whispered to himself. Patience is always a deadly weapon that he possess. Overcame by the frustration of poor accuracy, Jensen's opponent began to swing his blade wildly, delivering strokes in quick successions but he ended up receiving a deep gash on the stomach, which he yelled in pain.

  Jensen decided to spare him, after taking what he deserved from the gamemaster, he returned to his opponent and bandaged his wound. His opponent smiled at him. Humble in victory, graceful in defeat, Jensen's style of a worthy opponent. However, his styles are not recommended to be used in the battlefields, too many times his enemy attempted to ambush him after they were spared, but he still continue his doings.

  He took the road home with a slower pace, his energy a quarter drained but a sensation of satisfaction still whirled in his heart when he thinks of Skylar back home, always that strange happiness, that unique obsession which most people in the world cannot afford to possess. Stumbling upon fallen branches and trees, greenery surrounding him along the way, may be considered a feast for the eyes, rather than tall buildings that dominated the surface of the earth.

  Jensen swung his cabin door open, Skylar's face lit up upon seeing the packets of food he brought back. The cabin was old as ever, mosses and vine leaves creeping through the decaying woods that supported the cabin. Shelves are lined full of books, forbidden for humans eyes, a reason why this cabin is camouflaged with greenery. A long frame hung on the walls of the cabin, containing a word of wisdom.

  "I do not know what weapons would be use in the third world war, but I can tell that the fourth world war will be fought with sticks and stones." -Albert Einstein.

  The third world war was fought, eighteen years ago in the 2080. It was living hell, anytime and anywhere your life could be snatched away by a bullet or a missile bombarding the areas, only up to 0.5billion people who still exist in this world. It sent them back to the medieval period, nearly to the stone age.

  "Any wounds?" Skylar questioned.

  "None" Jensen replied with a smile on his face.

  "You earned a lot today, that was great." she exclaimed as she examined all the contents within the sags and packets. Jensen lit up the furnace, a piece of stone above it, a replacement for a stove which existed twenty years ago and perished.

  He exited the cabin just to witness the sunrise, which beautifully painted the sky with shades of orange, yellow and red. Jensen smiled to himself, a scenery which can't be afforded in the past. The plants surrounding him were all shone by the rays of sunlight, uneven branches casted beautiful shadows on the moss covered ground. What mother nature can offer is always unexpected.