Chapter 3: The Dark of the Night

The daylight faded fast in midday, dark clouds dominating the skies, forbidding the rays of light to penetrate through it. Rain poured heavily, drops of water trickling down towards the ground slowly, like desperately trying to splinter the wooden floor, a broken ceiling above them.

  They resurrect the light in the fireplace again, a strange plant which grew within the chimneys helped filter the smokes, another assistance for camouflaging the cabin.

  Jensen sat on the floor, sharpening his blade with a stone until it glimmer vigorously under the dim illumination of the fire. He then plants a soft kiss on Skylar, which she returned it on his cheek.

  Night arrives quickly, the full moon played its role in the sky, shining brightly and delivering a sense of loneliness, not much stars are present, the sky only dimly lit by the moon.

  Jensen sat outside in a vast field with Skylar beside him, admiring the night sky until a growl pierce the silence of the night. Jensen was alarmed, his blade unsheathed, the steel glowing in the moonlight. Skylar stood, two daggers in both hands ready to draw blood from what the beast have to offer.

  The forest around them came alive, curious eyes prying at them, gaze fixed upon the two humans. The eyes are glowing, pupils are strangely shaped. Jensen cannot determine what beast it is despite all his hunting experiences. Skylar noticed something wrong, the glowing object which were glaring at them are not eyes at all.

  "Arbiters." she whispered.

  "What?"

  A bullet fired from behind, Jensen parried it away with ease, but his legs were not that firm anymore, lightly trembling upon hearing the words escape from Skylar's lips. The two started sprinting, ducking low and dashing away from the vast field as bullets from behind them followed, none of them find their right targets.

  Arbiters are a community, which aim is to perish every single refugee living on earth, a strange believe that they are not pure and over dosage of knowledge are capable to corrupt their minds, which most people do not believe so. Arbiters possess the highest technology (which are only combat rifles and Kevlar) ,desperately trying to perish every single knowledge (excluding language and math, music wasn't allowed as well.) on the planet.

  Skylar and Jensen took cover behind a fallen bark, calming their breathings and favoring stealth as much as they can for not being seen. A bullet ends a life very quickly. Jensen crept out of his cover shortly after seeing no signs of Arbiters, crouching and keeping low, he inched forward to scout.

  The scene in front of him was shocking, fire erupted from the far side of the vast field, smoke rising up to the skies. There goes the cabin. Jensen froze, body trembling, all his memories, his precious moments destroyed in a night. Tears trickled down his chin, ineffectively wetting the bark in front if him.

  Skylar patted his back slowly, as to comfort him although she felt a feeling of depression swirling in her heart.

  Jensen dug his face in his palms, exhaling and inhaling slowly as the fires burn wildly through one of the cruelest nights he encountered.