Chapter two

She has heard of Declan Harp. The tales of how he's Benton's enemy and trades fur in illegal circumstances. How dangerous he is and how the red coats are chasing him. But he seems uncatchable. Nothing more than a ghost figure roaming the woods around the town. The stories that reach her ear are that he's merciless. Killing people like he kills the animals for fur.

And he's standing before her, his dark eyes glued on her face while scanning her features. No doubt, trying to find out her intentions of walking in here. At this moment, Liz prays she never set a foot in the kitchen area and just stayed outside. It's Grace who breaks the heavy silence between the three of them. Her accent rolling of her tongue, making Liz turn her head slightly towards the woman. Hesitant to take her eyes of the large man with the long, unruly hair before her.

"Elizabeth, I've got no doubt this ... conversation isn't going to leave these walls," Grace says, her voice calm but her eyes bore into Liz's.

Blue eyes flicker from the woman to Declan again, trying to figure out how to get away if needed. Her fingers grace the hidden dagger through the heavy cotton of her skirts. Declan was still looking at her. Waiting calmly for her answer while holding on to the back of one of the chairs. He arches a brow when Elizabeth's reply takes longer than expected.

"I'm not here to hurt anyone," his gruff voice filling the room.

She locks eyes with him, this time it's Liz who tries to read his intentions on his face. But he keeps his features neutral, emotionless. He's heavily armed, she could tell. The daggers strapped on his vest, decorated with the bone of the animals he no doubt killed for the furs he was wearing to keep himself warm.

No matter how she saw the situation, Liz knows she has no chance of survival if he decides to turn on her. Her hand moves away from her dagger, taking a small step forward and looking at the both. A small nod was given as a reply, but Declan moves towards her, making Liz swallow hard when he comes to stand right in front of her. His scent filling her nose, a mixture of sweat and something that reminded her of burned wood. No doubt he slept close to a burning fire to keep himself warm at night.

"I didn't hear you," his voice calmer, almost warm even.

Holding her chin high, afraid to show any weakness in front of this almost mythical man, Elizabeth slowly nods again. "Yes, you can guarantee that this conversation doesn't leave this kitchen," her voice is stronger than she thought. There's no tremble, no hesitance.

Declan smirks while glancing over his shoulder to Emberly. "New girl learns fast," moving away from Elizabeth, making her take a few breaths in and out real fast to steady the beating of her heart.

The barkeeper smiles, almost grins at him while offering Declan something warm to drink. "I told ya, I only take on the good ones who are trusted," she says before returning her attention to Elizabeth, "now, tell us dear, how well do you know Lord Benton and his household?" 

 "I told ya, I only take on the good ones who are trusted," she says before returning her attention to Elizabeth, "now, tell us dear, how well do you know Lord Benton and his household?"