Chapter 9

Her heartbeat is still fast because of the adrenaline of her encounter with Captain Chesterfield when Liz sneaks into the kitchen area through the back door. She sees Declan standing with his back towards her, silent, unmoving... The voice of Chesterfield and Grace float through the door and Liz hears the captain calms down by the sound of his voice.

When Declan glances over his shoulder to her, he keeps one finger before his lips to tell her to be silent. Even if she wants in that moment, she can't even move because Liz's afraid Chesterfield will walk through the door and see them both standing there.

Dark eyes are fixed on hers, moving her to extreme silence and Liz keeps her gaze fixed on Declan. She's certain that the fear is written on her face, her eyebrows knitted together, and her hands are balled into fists. Even her breathing is kept to a minimum and as soon as they hear the door from the tavern close, she takes a deep breath when Grace enters the kitchen alone.

The woman stares at both, seemingly unfazed by her encounter with Chesterfield and grabs a cup to fill it with coffee. The curse words escaping her lips make Liz blush for a moment before she clears her throat. "Is everything okay, Grace?"

Grace locks eyes with Declan first before turning her attention towards Elizabeth. Pointing at the fur in her hands. "If anyone asks, you got that coat from me, aye?"

Liz nodds, a bit taken aback by the cold tone of Grace's voice. It was then the owner of the place turns her attention to Declan. "And you? Do you know how much problems you could've caused coming here?"

He didn't answer, he isn't even looking at Grace but at Liz. "Why is Chesterfield angry with you?" Declan asks, moving closer to Liz. His heavy hand comes to rest on her shoulder and even through the fur, she can feel the warmth radiation of his skin. Her eyes looking everywhere but him.

"I don't know," she honestly said. "He doesn't like the fact his Lord's smitten with me." Rolling her eyes before finally looking at him. "As if I like that fact," she sneers.

A hesitant smile plays across his lips when she says it before he turns to Grace. "Michael is gone," he states. "He made his choice to free the girl."

Panic rose in Liz' chest. "When?"

He glances at her again before pulling his hand back. "Tomorrow night."

She thought about it. The danger the boy would be in if he got caught with Clenna. Not to mention the girl who's obviously being used as bait. But something else worries her, Liz's mind always goes back to one other concern. "What about you?"

Her voice is barely a whisper, but Declan turns to her nonetheless. His eyes searching her face while Grace leaves the kitchen to clean the floor of the tavern. "What about me?"

"You can't go near the mansion or any soldier's camps, Declan," she murmurs, her gaze finding the flames of the hearth. "It's bloody dangerous for you. If Lord Benton catches you, you'll be dead."

The words of Benton creep into her mind. How he had tortured the natives of the land and Benton never minded going into extreme detail when telling her about it. In his head, he is the one in the right but Liz her stomach turns by the thought what he'd do to Declan.

He didn't answer her, instead Declan stands next to her staring at the fire. It makes her glance up at him, noticing the lines on his face in more detail. The outspoken cheekbones and the scar on his brow. The way he stands, tall and proud. And it's when he looks at her, Liz sees the same sadness she noticed before.

"You can't die, Declan," she murmurs, before turning away from him. It's late, and exhaustion is dawning on her. Making her yawn while walking to the door. She turns before going outside into the cold.

His eyes are following her movements, but the rest of his body seems frozen. Liz smiles at him, a sincere and soft smile tugging at her lips while looking at the warrior before her. "I'll make sure to be there tomorrow night. At Lord Benton's. Maybe I can distract him from Michael and whatever you're planning."

"It's too dangerous," he speaks, turning fully around so he could face her.

"Well...Hard times make heavy burdens, Declan Harp. But it seems I'm willing to carry them."