Chapter 21

Elizabeth POV

The walk towards Red Claw wasn't silent as Liz thought it would be. After Declan planted a kiss on her lips before they packed everything to start their journey, Michael suddenly appeared out of nowhere and started to talk about Clenna.

She wasn't really in the mood to listen to him. Liz had hoped to use the walk to get her mind clear but hearing the despair in his voice about the girl he loved, Elizabeth couldn't help but listen anyway. But to her surprise, it was Sokanon who gave Michael advice about Clenna.

The cold settled into her bones again, even the furry coat couldn't keep away the chill and a shiver ran across her spine while following silently behind Sokanon and Michael. And her feet were killing her, making Liz walk like she had a limp to spare one foot at a time.

"You're in pain," Declan's voice came from behind, making Liz look over her shoulder.

"It isn't something to worry about," she murmured when she picked up her pace again.

His hand caressed her back for only a second before Declan increased his pace and passed her by. Liz couldn't help the smile that appeared around her lips.

Only two hours later they made a quick stop, and everyone came standing closer to each other. Sokanon holding two pieces of rope and dangled it before Michael and Liz' faces.

"You're slaves from now until we leave the Red Claw," Declan said while staring through the trees. The camp of Red Claw was seen through the bushes and it was bursting with commotion.

While Sokanon tied Michael his hands, Liz stood on her tip toes, so she was able to see how some of the natives were celebrating a big catch. Four men carried a male deer, hanging from a large pole and already dead. Thank the Lord it was already dead, the last thing Liz was interested in was seeing the slaughter of an animal. Even if it was for food.

"Your turn," the voice of Sokanon made her turn around and Liz offered her wrists without a word.

But a hiss escaped her when the rope was wound up too tight around her wrists and hands.

"Need to make it look real," Sokanon grinned but there was a playful twinkle in her eyes that Liz didn't notice before. "Don't worry," the native's woman voice was soft to her ears, "we'll untie you as soon as possible. Signal me when the ropes really start to hurt you."

A small nod was given from Liz to Sokanon before turning to Declan. They locked eyes and Liz stretched out her hands to him, offering him the piece of rope that was dangling lose from the knot.

"Are you sure?" He asked, his voice doubtful.

"Yes," was all she said, determined that this was what needed to be done if they would have any chance for the Red Claw to side with them. Deep down Liz knew she would do anything in her possibilities to take down Lord Benton and his Captain. They were simply vicious in her eyes, especially after she'd seen first hand how Lord Benton treated the natives when a young boy who got caught stealing was whipped on marketplace.

She didn't stay to watch it. Liz ran home crying and feeling helpless, buried herself into the blankets into her bed. Only later Elizabeth heard the boy was still alive, but it took Grace several days to make sure he'd survive the beating. The woman had hidden the boy away from Chesterfield and Lord Benton and made sure he got home when he was well enough to travel.

Only now she realized it was probably Declan who had made sure the boy got back to his family and Elizabeth scanned his features while he looked towards the camp again. Ice was forming in his beard and he kept his lips tight together.