Chapter 15

They kept walking for a while, the first hour mostly in a comfortable silence. Except for the sound of their footsteps on the frozen forest ground, Liz could hear the forest wake up slowly. The birds started to sing their song and once a rabbit decided to cross their paths, look up at them before spurting away.

Even the sun decided to shed its rays upon the woods, making the frozen leaves of the trees defrost slowly and the rhythm of the drippings of water from it, made Elizabeth feel peaceful. Realizing that she hadn't felt like this since childhood, since before her marriage, made her smile and Declan noticed. For a moment wondering if there was anything that passed his attention.

After the first hour, Declan started to talk to her. Asking her questions about where she grew up and about her marriage. Elizabeth replied to all of them. She herself asked him questions about the woods and the natives living here. But Liz avoided the subject of his family or Lord Benton.

She had heard him laugh loudly during their walk when she told him about the time when she was a child and got lost in the woods. When she was eight years old and went tracking with her brothers, she'd gotten lost and ended up sleeping in a barn filled with goats. The next morning her father found her with hay in her hair and smelling like goat poo.

The laugh that followed from Declan sounded warm and it made her cheeks turn a soft red when Liz noticed her heartbeat speeding up. He held still and looked at her, his gaze travelling over her face before his thumb caressed her cheek. Of course, he'd seen her blush and Liz cleared her throat before looking away from him. Breaking the moment between them before she'd do something she might regret.

But when Elizabeth took one step, wanting to walk into the same direction they were heading, she felt his hand on her arm. Sliding down slowly towards her wrist and curling his fingers around it. It made her stop in her tracks and glance over her shoulder to him.

Declan's face was stern, but his eyes were fixed on hers when he suddenly closes the distance between them with one, long step. She hasn't got time to breath when both his hands cup her face and pull her towards him. His lips graze hers, gently and soft. It's only when her own fingers curl into his collar and when Elizabeth answers his kiss, that his left hand finds its way to her hip and pushes her against one of the trees behind her.

Declan's lips search hers and before Liz is fully aware, the kiss turns hungry and passionate. Her fingers curling in his hair to keep him close when his tongue finds hers. She can't hold back the whimper escaping her when he nips Liz's bottom lip.

She doesn't want to break the kiss, doesn't want to lose his warmth but he pulls back in one movement. Letting her go completely while he takes a step back. They're both breathing hard, catching their breath before Declan rubs his eyes and shakes his head.

And Liz knows the moment has passed, as fast as it begun it ended and she mourns the loss of his touch. The side of her hip still tingling where he held her, and her lips are swollen from their kiss.

"I can't do this," he muttered, making her take a step closer to him.

Liz smiled sadly, nodding her head slowly when Declan looked at her. Again, his eyes were filled with sorrow, but now Liz saw guilt in them too. She shrugs, her smile still curling her lips, but all Liz wants to do now, is cry when it feels as if the man had just rejected her. "It's okay, Declan."

He stared at her for some time, as if he's trying to decide something before he wants to caress her cheeks with his thumb again. But Liz pulls back, her fingers curling around his wrist this time and shakes her head. "Please, don't," her voice is almost begging him this time and the sad smile makes place for a frown.

She feels the tears stinging behind her eyes and although she wants nothing else then him touching her again, Liz knows he still loves his wife.

Declan pulls back and nods once before turning around. He glances over his shoulder. "Track your prints," he says, "Until you reach Sokanon. She'll be by the fire. Tell her..." He keeps silent for a moment and takes a deep breath. "Tell her, I'll be there before noon."

Liz wants to reply but he's already moving away from her, disappearing into the other direction then they came and as soon as Declan is out of sight, the tears flow over her cheeks. She called herself stupid because she'd started to have feelings for Declan Harp.