Chapter 16

Sokanon seemed to be in a better mood when Liz arrived back at the campfire. She was skinning a rabbit from its fur and Elizabeth could see three more dead rabbits lying next to the woman. Liz approached her slowly, not to startle her and made sure to make a sound. Sokanon looked up at her, immediately scanning the area behind Liz.

"Where's Declan?"

"He said he'll be back here by noon," she replied, not sure if the woman would like her company.

Sokanon stared at her, making Liz feel uncomfortable, before turning her attention to the rabbit again. Liz licked her lips, played with her skirt for a moment right before deciding to go sit next to Sokanon.

"Can I help you with something?"

"You helped enough already," she replied, her voice cold and when she glances at Liz, her eyes shoot daggers. "The deer would've been good for days. These rabbits just for today."

Liz sighed when the woman went back to work with the dead animal but shook her head. Stubborn as she was, Liz didn't want Sokanon to be angry at her for a stupid mistake. "Let me help," she said, "you can show me how to do it, please?"

This time, Sokanon looked again but her eyes seem softer. Liz could see she was thinking about it but eventually the reply was a short, cold 'no'.

  Elizabeth didn't understand why Sokanon refused her aid with the rabbits  and her cheeks heat up from the tinge of anger she felt rising in her  stomach

Elizabeth didn't understand why Sokanon refused her aid with the rabbits and her cheeks heat up from the tinge of anger she felt rising in her stomach. "What's your problem? I'm just trying to help?"

Her anger went buy quickly when Sokanon suddenly stood up and glared at her. Liz need to look up at her when Sokanon pointed her bloodied finger at her. "We went back for you when you were captured by Lord Benton while we shouldn't have," her voice was loud, "Declan wanted to go make sure you were fine when you didn't arrive at your home. You've put him in danger. Do you know what they'll do to him when they get to him?"

Liz opened her mouth but closed it again, feeling at a loss for words. And Sokanon wasn't done yet with her.

"They will torture him before he meets the gallows. Lord Benton will want to break him as if losing his family isn't enough for a man in one lifetime!" She was shouting now but Liz let her rage on. "And I see the way you look at him," Sokanon suddenly said, "I see the way he looks at you. He looks at you like he watched my sister before they got married."

Her voice died away and suddenly Elizabeth put the pieces together. "Your sister," she whispered and Sokanon sat down again, her eyes glued on the ground before her while her fingers reach for one of the rabbits. "Declan is like a brother to me. He married my sister and they had a son."

Liz swallowed hearing the pain in her voice but kept silent.

"One day, Declan and I were out hunting when we heard the screams and saw the smoke rising from the camp. We ran," Sokanon said, "we ran as fast as we could and Declan arrived first. But we were too late."

The anger had left her voice and Liz stared into the flames of the fire. "I'm sorry," was all she could say. "No one deserves losing a loved one like that."

Sokanon didn't reply but handed her one of the rabbits instead. "Try not to ruin the fur too much," was all she said before they worked in silence. Giving Liz time to think about...everything.

When noon arrived the rabbit stew was cooking above the fire and heavy footsteps were heard. Elizabeth didn't look up, recognizing Declan's step immediately. Instead, she stared into fire and kept stirring the stew.

She didn't expect Michael to be there too and when he suddenly came to sit next to her, Liz glances at him. "I heard Clenna didn't want to come with you?"

The boy shook his head slowly before looking away from her. "She doesn't trust it. None of it, actually. She doesn't trust Benton but she doesn't want to be out here. I don't know. I tried. I'm gonna try again next time we're in town."

"Next time?"

Liz frowned, her eyes flickering from Michael to Declan, whose talking to Sokanon, to Michael again.

"Yes," the boy replied. "Next time we're going after Lord Benton. In two nights."

Liz swallowed hard and her eyes travel back to Declan. He catches her gaze and frowns slightly when seeing the panic written in her features. Thinking about Sokanon's words, she feels the panic rising in her stomach towards her throat and she needs to take a deep breath in. Getting up and walking towards the trees, barely hearing Michael's questions anymore. She needed time to think things through.

But the panic that settled in the pit of her stomach didn't go away.