Chapter 27

Liz' POV

The iron chackle hurt her wrists when Liz tries to struggle loose.

"It won't help," Declan grunts from the other side of the barn and Liz snaps her head up. Her eyes searching frantically for Declan's frame into the darkness of the shed.

"You're awake," relief washing over and Liz can't hide her voice skipping over.

Declan was knocked out in the tavern before both were dragged into this barn. The last time Liz had seen Declan's face, she'd noticed the blood trickling off it; leaving a trace into the snow.

"Yes," she hears him grunt from the far left. "Did they hurt you?"

There's worry in his voice that Liz didn't hear from him before. She nods before realizing Declan can't see her.

"No," a lie that rolls of her tongue without effort.

They did hurt her, a slam of Chesterfield's fist when she'd screamed when his men took advantage of Declan's vulnerable state by kicking him in the ribs. It still tingled her skin on her cheek and Liz is certain it'll leave a blue mark right underneath her right eye.

"Why did you follow?" The worry gone. Replaced by anger in Declan's voice which makes Liz swallow before answering.

"Had to," is all she says. All she's able to say when the door of the barn opens, and Liz needs to squint her eyes when Chesterfield strides in with a torch. The sudden light hurting her eyes and making them water.

"You're up Mister Harp?"

Liz turns her head slightly when the Captain and two soldiers march right towards the farthest corner of the building. Finally, a light flickers around the frame of Declan and Liz suddenly realizes he's in the same boat as her.

Tight up, hanging from chackles that are secured on the ceiling, his feet barely scraping the ground...Declan's eyes search for her first and when he finally does, Liz shakes her head when her tears fall of her cheeks. She wanted to say she's sorry for all of this. For everything he had been through. For everything that was waiting for him...

"Ah, Declan Harp," a familiar voice breaking the silence that's lingering heavily between Chesterfield and Declan. A chill runs up through Liz' spine when a warm hand, too warm, caressed the small of her back. The man behind her slowly revealing himself when walking around to fully face her.

"Benton," Declan grits through his teeth but the old man doesn't even look back at Declan. His big eyes focusing on Liz; his stare travelling over her face and his hand suddenly grabs a hold of her chin. Making her look at him.

"Who hit you, dear?"

Liz her bottom lip trembles out of fear. The man before her is a sociopath. His voice sounding soft, gentle almost but the hold on her chin is hurting her and she can't help her body trembling under his touch.

A sigh escaping Benton and he casts his eyes down. He's impatient because she isn't answering and for some reason, the man is trying to hold himself back. But when he looks straight at her again and letting go of her chin, Liz sees the coldness in them. Especially when he takes a small step closer to her when his nose is almost touching hers.

"Don't touch her," Declan's voice roared.

"I'll be with you in a second, Mr Harp," Benton stated while his hands get a hold of Liz's hips. Holding her still so she can't even try to move away from him. "I asked you a question. I will try again and you better answer."