Chapter 26

Declan's POV

The journey from the Red Claw to Fort James isn't that far. Mostly because Declan his thought are somewhere else than the road he's walking on. Never did he anticipate that Elizabeth would enter his life and almost throw his plans to the backside of his mind.

The events of last night still lingers fresh in his mind. The way her fingers traced his chest and curled into his hair. Pulling him up against her so he could kiss her lips. Liz her movements were slow and gentle. As if she was scared to hurt him or scare him off. But Declan quickly realized she never was with a man who loved her.

Love.

The word is like acid in his mind and thoughts. Like its burning a hole in his brain and he shakes his head to try and chase it away. His pace speeding up and his arms swinging wildly to get the branches of the low growth in the forest out of the way.

The last time Declan felt love for someone, they were taken away. They were murdered. And he thought to never be able to feel anything close to that sentiment again. There isn't any room for it. He only feels rage. And Declan feels a lot of it.

Yet...There's something that always makes his thoughts go back to last night while he walks towards Fort James. The way her lips touched his skin and left a burning sensation on that spot. How her hips met his in a slow pace and how Liz looked when her hair was hanging loose around her shoulders.

He stops. Leaning against a tree and takes a breath or two.

The way his name sounded from her lips.

Declan wipes his face with his hand. Chasing away the image of Liz in his arms and he takes comfort that she'll probably be pissed when noticing he left.

But Declan hopes she'll be fine. And deep down, he hopes Liz will be able to forgive him.

When he starts walking again, it only takes him three hours to see Fort James rising up before him. The streets are crowded; people going to and from their workplaces. Declan knows he will have to wait until he can use the cover of darkness before showing his face outside the woods.

Looking up towards the sky, he can tell by the position of the Sun that sundown isn't that far away. He can easily keep himself occupied by sitting down or walking around in the forest. When Declan turns around to walk away, he glances over his shoulder towards the tavern. Even from the distance he's standing, Declan can see the fiery red hair of Grace.

She seemed to be in a heavy discussion with Captain Chesterfield and Declan turns towards the tavern again. Grace is pointing at him, her features angry and if the streets weren't so crowded, Declan's certain he would be able to hear her voice from where he's standing.

He didn't know what magic Grace Emberly had over the Captain. He just seemed to take in her angry speech she was giving him and left a few minutes later; head down and walking slowly away from her. Like a dog who got caught stealing the meat from a table and had to sleep outside for the night.

Declan knows Grace for a long time now. Knows how she can wrap someone around her little finger for her own benefit. And he loves her for it. That manipulative side she has. Nonetheless, she always was there for him. When he married. When he became a Father. And when he became a widow.

He decides to make a bolt move and sneak towards the tavern during daylight. Taking the small streets and back alleys, he arrives at the back door of Grace's establishment. One of her ladies almost suffers a heart attack when he enters without knocking.

The little blonde, Declan long forgot her name, stares up at him and he notices the fear in her eyes. He looks away, not wanting to risk the girl starting to scream though she knows Declan is a frequent visitor here.