Chapter 7

They walk in silence, the only sound heard are their footsteps and sometimes a drunkard who shouts something from the distance. Liz is certain more than half the town is vast asleep by this hour and she rubs her hands to keep warm. When noticing Declan goes straight to her house, she holds her pace and arches a brow.

"How do you know where I live?" her tone is suspicious and she can hardly make out he turns around to face her in the darkness.

"I've lived here for a long time," Declan whispers and Elizabeth can see the mists escaping his lips while talking. He waits for a moment before adding ; "And Grace told me."

She shrugs. "Oh well, does she go and tell everyone where I live or are you special?"

He doesn't reply to her. Declan just turns around and keeps walking until they reach her backdoor. Liz forgets about it, thinking it's no use going into an argument with a man who doesn't reply to her questions. And by the looks of it, he isn't amused. Glancing up at him, she pouts her lips for a moment.

"Thank you, Declan," her tone friendly and sincere.

"For what?"

"Walking me home."

He nods once and waits for her to open the back door before coughing. Making Liz look back at him. He's holding something towards her in his hand, something she can't make out because of the dark.

"What is that?" She frowns at him, but he reaches out his hand further towards her.

"For your efforts," he grumbles, pushing the item into her hands and turning around to disappear.

Liz stares at the spot Declan was just moments ago, her hands stretched with something in her hands

Liz stares at the spot Declan was just moments ago, her hands stretched with something in her hands. It's wrapped in light paper and shaking her head slowly before entering, her fingers find the only light she has in the house. Dropping the item on the table while searching for something to light the candles with.

Since it's cold outside and Liz can't afford chopped wood to make the fireplace running, she quickly reaches for a blanket that she keeps draped over a chair when taking her coat of. Knowing her way in the house, even at pitch black, she quickly finds some matches and lights three candles on the small wooden table.

Putting a pot on the fire to cook some water and make tea, she taps the counter while glancing at the package on the far left of the table. Whatever he gave her, it isn't too heavy but she has to carry it with two hands. Liz doubts at first, scared to find something she doesn't want. A dead animal is the first thing that crosses her mind but she quickly erases that thought.

No, an animal would have weighed much heavier and the light, white paper doesn't have any bloodstains on it. And for some reason, she's given Declan Harp the benefit of the doubt in her head. Whatever it is, it'd be something useful. When the sound of boiling water reaches her, she quickly pours it into a cup and goes to sit down.

Taking the package and her fingers carefully open the rope that's bound around it. Due to the cold, it takes her longer than expected but she manages it eventually. Folding open the paper and staring at the beautiful fur before her. It was wolves fur, she recognizes it immediately. Letting her hands roam over it before standing up and holding it before her.

It was a coat that easily reaches to her knees and Liz laughs loud while she has to hold back the tears stinging in her eyes. Putting it on and not carrying it was too big for her, she hugs herself and feels the warmth engulfing her.

It's then when she goes to stand on her back porch, staring into the darkness and murmuring a soft thank you into the air.

She has no idea Declan is just behind the corner, kneeled down against the wall of the house and he smirks hearing her words of thanks. And he can hear in her voice Liz is sincere. It's only when he hears her door closing, that he goes to meet up with Michael and Sokanon.