Chapter 22

Elizabeth's POV

Declan left to meet with Sokanon right after he set her free and told Elizabeth not to leave the tent. Or to even look outside. She nodded her head, having no ambition to anger the natives and already relieved she was still alive. Knowing that she had Sokanon to thank for her ability to still breathe.

Rubbing her wrists where the rope had been, she sits down on the soft fur at the left side of the tent. Glancing around, Elizabeth realized the furs were the bed. The rest of the tent was empty, but her eyes stay glued on Declan's jacket.

She didn't notice that he took it off. Elizabeth had been too busy trying to remain calm to notice anything except that her head was still attached on her neck. Making a mental note to thank Sokanon later for defending Michael and her.

Whatever Declan went out for, it took him a while to get back. After a few hours, Elizabeth tried to listen, but the camp was silent. Making her sit down on the soft furs again and its warmth was making her sleepy. But the sharp pains coming from her feet kept her from falling into slumber.

It was already dusk outside when she sits up and finally gathers the courage to take of her shoes. She knew it was going to be bad but when she slips them off, Elizabeth bites her bottom lip when she sees the blood stains on her once white socks. A curse rolls off her tongue when trying to pull one sock out, but it didn't cooperate. The cotton stuck on her skin due off the dried-up blood.

She can't help the tear that rolls down her cheek when she tries again. The wounds ached, and she pulls her hands back.

"You need warm water," Declan's voice reaching her ears and Elizabeth turns her head to lock eyes with him.

A nod from her head was all she gives to let him know she heard him. She wasn't even allowed to leave the tent, let alone to run to get a bowl of water and warm it up. But Declan left again, making her burrow her head in her hands for a few minutes. Wondering how she's going to get her socks off without the help of water.

But, only after a few minutes, Declan entered the tent again with an iron bowl of water. Elizabeth follows his movements without a word. Seeing how he goes to sit before her and Declan reaches out his hand. Locking eyes with her and waiting.

Elizabeth doubts for a moment, uncertain she's ready for the pain that's no doubt to come. But she nods when he takes her right foot in his hand. She looks at the ceiling of the tent while Declan gently works on her feet. And to her surprise, it doesn't hurt. It tingles sometimes when the cold water touches the wounds but there isn't any pain.

His fingers working delicately when he bandages both her feet in thin cotton. It makes her close her eyes and enjoy the way his hands feel on her skin. Warm and tender.

"Done. Keep them bandaged up when you wear your shoes tomorrow."

Declan's voice makes her eyes snap open again and sit forward so Elizabeth can face him. He's still leaning on his knees when her lips touch his for a fleeting kiss.

"Thank you," she murmurs with a smile while locking eyes with him. Their noses barely touching when Declan nods his head.

"You will need to change the bandages in the morning," he says standing up and putting the bowl of water further away.

Night had fallen over the camp by now. Shrouding the tent in darkness. But, when a flickering light appears from the other side of the tent, Elizabeth notices the single candle burning that Declan light up.

"We should sleep," he murmurs from the other side of the tent.

She can see his silhouette in the small light that the candle gives, and it makes his shadow play on the heavy fabric of the tent. He's standing with his back to her and Elizabeth slowly gets up to walk over to him.

"Are we safe here?"

Her voice is timid, almost shy even while circling her arms around his torso. Scared of how he will react. Declan sighs, but one of his hands comes to rest on hers. Making her lean her head between his shoulder blades and closing her eyes.

"We are. At least for tonight. You will have to leave with Sokanon and Michael tomorrow morning."

She wants to ask to leave with him, but when Declan turns and locks eyes with her, Elizabeth is at a loss for words. His hands cupping her face and she can feel the heat rising towards her cheeks when Declan looks at her. His thumb caressing her left cheek and Liz leans her face into his hands while closing her eyes. Savouring his touch and they way her heartbeat speeds up.

"Where will you be tomorrow morning?"

Eyes opening again when his thumb stays still. A sad look crosses his features before Declan answers; "I need to be somewhere. I will meet you when I am done."

A frown appears between her brows and Elizabeth opens her lips to speak up but decides against it when Declan lets her go. He walks past her towards the exit making Liz turn around.

"Can you stay?"

He stops, glancing over his shoulder to her.

"You need some sleep."

She couldn't argue with that. She felt tired and her whole body was aching for sleep. The tension of the day finally taking its toll on Elizabeth.

"So, do you," she murmurs, walking to the exit and closing the tent again.

She can feel his eyes on her while Elizabeth walks to the bed. Her fingers untying the buttons of her dress and letting it fall to the ground. She doesn't look at him when climbing under the furs in her undergarments. She doesn't dare to see his reaction because Liz is afraid for another rejection from him.

The furs are warm to her skin and Liz goes to lie on her side, away from the light and away from the man standing at the exit. He could choose to get some rest or leave. Whatever Declan will decide, Liz already felt the sleepiness in her mind. Making her close her eyes.

Right before falling into a deep slumber, she hears his clothes hitting the ground and his body next to her. An arm comes to rest around her torso and a smile plays around her lips before sleep takes her.