Chapter 10

The next morning, she wakes to find a small letter on her porch. The letters ware scribbled on it fast, making it harder to read for her but Liz smiles when she's finally able to decipher it. It tells her only two words: 'be careful.' Elizabeth knows it's from Declan and immediately burns the note over the flame of a candle burning on her table.

It doesn't take her long to get dressed and be on her way to Grace. She has to take the evening off but seeing the bar owner is clearly on Harp's side, Elizabeth knows it wouldn't be a problem. She'd chosen a simple green dress instead of her usual black. The time of mourning is over for her and when she woke, Liz had felt better then she felt in years.

So why keep wearing the black colour when she didn't really mourn her late husband? The green dress is old, but because she hadn't worn it often, it looks brand new. William had hated the colour green on her. But today Liz couldn't care less, and she wears the dress...Maybe hoping her late husband could see her in it and curse like he used to do when drunk.

"You'll need your hair done properly," Grace tells her after a few hours of work. "I love the dress, but you've worked your sweet ass of, dear. You shall borrow one of mine. Lord knows I don't wear them."

Grace knows of the plan of trying to distract Lord Benton. She'd agreed to it if Elizabeth worked the day and left from the tavern straight to the mansion. Liz never mentions the note of Declan she found on her porch.

But when Grace makes her sit down in a chair and goes with a comb through her unruly curls, Liz bites her bottom lip. "What happened between Declan and Benton?" Her question lingers in the air and Grace stops brushing Elizabeth's hair.

The wooden floor in the small chamber of Grace, creaks under the woman her feet when she comes to stand next to her. The bar owner locks eyes with Liz in the mirror, her hand resting calmly on Liz's left shoulder. "Lord Benton murdered his wife and child."

Her reply is short, but it shakes Elizabeth to the core. Grace doesn't notice, proceeding to brush and untangle the curls. Liz feels sickness forming in her stomach by the thought of it. The tortures Lord Benton loves to talk about during dinner now comes with the image of a child and its mother. And a father coming back to a camp to find his loved ones killed.

She stares into the mirror, completely unaware tears are streaming down her face and she quickly wipes them away before Grace can see them. She doesn't have time to succumb to the nausea that was forming in her stomach because Grace finishes her hair before pointing at a simple brown dress lying on the bed.

Liz's glad she's left alone to change herself, only the company of her own thoughts and they always drift back to Declan Harp.

By the time she knots the last ribbon on her corset, she hears a knock on the door and looks up. "Enter, I'm decent." Turning to the larger mirror to look at herself. Her hair is up, except for the few blonde curls falling out of the pin. No doubt Grace couldn't tame her hair to stay up like she wanted. The brown dress with white bodice hugs her curves nicely.

But Elizabeth frowned when she turns slightly. She used to have a much firmer ass on her but the lack of food and the coldness in this land made it look flat.

"You look great," she hears a voice that didn't belong to Grace at all, making her turn on her heels and lock eyes with Declan.

Her cheeks turn a crimson colour, not only because he's standing in the room with her but also because Liz feels a flash of anger shooting through her.

"Are you insane," she sneers, "it's not even night. What if someone saw you?"

"They can try to do something," his tone is flat but the smirk on his face tells her he's amused.

Regaining her posture, Liz holds her chin high. "I need to be with Benton within the hour. Did you hear from Michael?"

"No. I didn't even see him."

She groans. "Great. I shall do my best then."

"Be careful."

"I will."

She looks at him then before closing the distance between them in just a few small steps. He towers above her and Liz reaches out. Her hand coming to rest on his cheek and to her surprise, Declan doesn't pull away. His beard is soft against the palm of her hand and for just a moment, she notices Declan closing his eyes under her touch.

"I'm sorry," she whispers, "what happened to you no one should go through."

Standing on her toes and pressing a kiss on his cheek. Pressing her lips to his ears; "I promise Benton will pay for this. I'll help in any way I can."