Chapter 8

The next day went by peacefully and before Liz is fully aware, dusk settles over her little town. The bar of Grace is filled with soldiers and others, making the tavern busy but cosy warm. The priest before the bar is rambling all sorts of stuff about God but once in while his eyes drifts to her co-worker's neckline and even below. Making her hold back from rolling her eyes when the man suddenly turns his attention to her.

But with only a disgusted look given towards him, he decides to turn his attention to some others in the back of the tavern. Elizabeth can't deny that her feet are killing her from standing and running around the whole day but with her thoughts at her pay check, she hardly feels the blisters forming on her heels.

She hums a happy tune when the last costumer leaves and she can close the doors. Making a mental note to buy proper footwear as soon as Grace pays her. Wiping the tables and cleaning the kitchen didn't take half as long as she expects and by the time she's done, Grace enters the area with a smile on her face.

"Happy clients today," she says, offering Liz something to drink.

She declines politely with a smile; "I'm tired. I'll go home and get rest. I'll see you tomorrow, Grace."

"Well done, my dear," Grace grins, "Go, you deserve some sleep."

Reaching for her new coat, Liz hears the hard knock on the door and looks at Grace. Her boss is equally startled by this late-night visitor but when the voice of Chesterfield is heard, Grace hurries to the door to open it.

The Captain storms in, not seeing Elizabeth at all when he speaks in hushed and rushed tones to the woman. Liz is frozen in place, not knowing how to act but once the man reaches out towards Grace Emberly her neck, she coughs loudly. Deserving his full attention.

He's surprised to see her, so much Liz can say by the looks on his face when he walks towards her. "Well, isn't this Lady Elizabeth Boyd. What are you doing here?" His eyes flickering from Grace to her before laughing loudly into her face. "Are you working here now?"

She nods, holding her chin high and Liz feels the anger rising in her chest. "It's Lady Adams again, Captain Chesterfield," she retorts, eyes shooting fire at the despicable man standing before her. At that point, Grace wants to intervene, but he holds up a finger to her.

"Don't, I'll talk to you in a minute," he says before looking back at Liz.

"Wait until Lord Benton finds out you're just an ordinary barmaid," he sneers, "maybe his eyes will open then and look farther then your...beauty," he's mocking her, his eyes travelling up and down. His gaze stopping at the fur in her arms and reaching out to it.

"What is this?"

She pulls her coat against her, out of his reach before he can even lay a finger on it. Making him close the distance between them. "That's wolf fur. Where did you get that?"

"It's old," but her voice falters, and Liz looks away from his face. She can't help the tremble going through her when he lays his hand on her shoulder.

"It looks brand new."

"I gave it to her, Chesterfield. Now let my girl go," the strong voice of Grace fills the room and Liz graces her beloved dagger with her fingers, feeling the shape of it under her skirts and for a moment there's nothing more in this world she wants than use the weapon on him.

He's still holding on to the fur, but his eyes are locked with Grace this time. And Liz hears something shift behind her. Something so delicate of a sound only she can hear, and it comes from the kitchen area. Her eyes flicker towards the door while Chesterfield is occupied, and she bites her lip seeing Declan stand there.

His frame is mostly covered by the half-closed door and he's hardly noticeable because the lights in the kitchen are out. But Liz can see he's holding one hand on a weapon strapped by his chest and his eyes are fixed on Chesterfield.

"I'm here to talk to you about Declan Harp. Do you know anything?"

He is still talking to Grace and finally let's go of her coat, making Liz turn her head again and swiftly moving away

He is still talking to Grace and finally let's go of her coat, making Liz turn her head again and swiftly moving away. Once out of Chesterfield's reach, her hands find the kitchen door, curling her fingers around the doorknob.

And she can hear Declan's breathing. His scent is filling her nose and she blinks a few times to gather her thoughts. Once Liz notices Chesterfield turning to her again, she pulls the door closed and smiles sweetly.

"I'll let you two be then," knowing full well Grace is a woman who could handle Chesterfield as no other. It's Elizabeth's presence that angers him more. "Captain Chesterfield, please bring Lord Benton my regards. I hope for another dinner soon."

She nods, sarcasm dripping of her face, but she can't help it. Although Elizabeth knows she's playing with fire but before he can reply, she hurries out of the tavern and runs to the back of it.