Epilogue

Author's note : I didn't see season 2 of Frontier yet. So, I took the freedom to create a little back story to Declan...I'm sorry if it isn't correct. Also, last chapter of Heavy Burdens... It's in the past tense this time!

Declan's POV
Declan Harp only remembers being angry. As a child of two people coming from different cultures, he was always the target of mockery. Growing up in Fort James wasn't easy on him. The other children in town mocking him because his skin colour resembled that of the natives. And on the other side, the natives not wanting him around because they found him to be too 'white' to their liking. Declan never fit in. And he tried but ended up in bed every night crying. His mother comforting, his father silent.

Until he turned fourteen. At that age, Declan Harp started growing out of his clothes and grew stronger. In just a matter of a few months, he was taller than most his age. Stronger too. He realised this when, on a rainy summer's day, one of his bullies started throwing rocks at him. Calling him names that, to this day, Declan can't remember.

It was the first time he felt rage burning inside his veins. Raging like a wildfire through his body and Declan remembers his bloodied fists after charging on the boy. The boy survived Declan's anger that day but was left with a bruises and a broken lip.

Declan Harp didn't cry himself to sleep that night. Even though, his mother chastised him for using violence. The young boy of fourteen suddenly realised he was stronger then the others. He could easily fight them off.

But, he didn't get in any more fights after word got around of what happened to the one boy with the broken lip. Not until Declan reached the age of 19 years old and was drinking in the only tavern the town got. Not yet run by the beautiful Grace but by an old man who only grunted and cursed while serving his clients.

Declan ignored the complaints and curses of the owner. He just liked to get a drink after a hard day of work in the forest. Hunting and wood chopping was what got him the money he needed to get around. By then, his parents were gone and he mourned them.

He got into a fight one night with a drunkard who had loose hands and hit one of the girls running around in the tavern. Normally, Declan wouldn't ever intervene but the man kept beating and shouting until the girl was crying. Begging him to stop.

No one did a thing. Nor did someone even look up from their pints. Not even the red coats, under command of Lord Benton, took measures to make the man stop beating the red haired girl.

Declan almost killed the man with his bare hands. The red coats prying him off the drunkard and he eventually let go. The red haired girl, not much younger than him, came to him to thank him. Telling Declan she'd always remember what he did for her. Told him her name was Grace Emberly and Declan had seen a fire in her eyes as bright as the colour of her hair.

Grace Emberly kept her word and always remembered that night.

He had made an impression on the Captain of the English. And a few days later, Declan had an audience with Lord Benton who saw potential in the young man. The Lord, already aged, taught Declan everything about the fur routes. How to skin an animal so that the fur never got damaged.

Little did Declan know that Benton used the same techniques on the natives...

When Harp reached the age of twenty-eight, he had a few days of and was chopping wood not far from town when a young native woman crossed his path. Her bow raised, arrow ready to shoot whenever he dared to make a wrong move.

And, Declan Harp, fell in love in an instant. The way she held her chin high and didn't back down. It was because he wasn't wearing his red coat that saved his life that day.

He met her after sunset mostly. Learned her language and soon the young woman wanted him to stay with her. So, Declan Harp told Lord Benton he would leave the Red Coats but the older man got furious. He'd seen Declan as a son and now ... Declan Harp became a traitor. A traitor who was fucking a native woman.

Declan remembers the vulgar words Benton had spouted when he left Fort James for good. But, his mind and thoughts were with his future wife....

He thought they were safe...He really did. Never had Declan imagined that Benton would carry a grudge this deep. When his child was born, it was the happiest day in his life.

When his child and wife were taken away, Declan felt the wildfire burning inside him again. And something inside died when he'd seen the bodies of his family.

Just like something died inside him again when Declan saw Elizabeth falling down in the courtyard of Fort James. He had seen it happen but was too far of to do something about it. He saw Sokanon and Michael screaming to each other but Liz wasn't moving anymore.

Declan, on the other hand, was running towards Elizabeth when Sokanon came towards him.

"She's gone," his sister in law had screamed, holding him back from getting to her.

Declan shook his head, wanted to push Sokanon out of the way when he noticed Lord Benton just a few metres away from him. A growl escaped him and when Sokanon noticed who he was looking at, the woman stepped away and let him go.

"Please, Declan," she had tried to beg him but Declan didn't listen anymore.

He strode towards Benton, pulling two of his daggers out of his jacket that Grace returned to him just moments ago. The old man didn't see Declan coming until he roared out Benton's name.

Declan was blinded by his hate for Benton and never hard nor saw the wounded Captain closing in on him. Right before he wanted to struck down the with fear stricken Lord, he felt a sudden numb feeling in his lower back.

He stopped in his tracks when something slides out of his flesh and a sudden warmth ran over his backside. Then, the pain came. Unforeseen and sharp. Declan looked over his shoulder to see Chesterfield grinning. The captain was wounded, holding one hand on his side but Declan could see the crimson red of bloods sticking on the man's hand.

In the other, Chesterfield had his sword raised. Ready to strike down if it wasn't for the young Michael who ran into the Captain with full force. Michael had waited for only a second before he nodded at Declan and disappeared into the darkness again.

Harp knew he had no chance taking on the Red Coats who were coming towards them now that he was wounded. Already weakened by the torture of Benton just hours ago, Declan thought he was going to die by a bullet or maybe by Chesterfield's sword when another explosion is heard to their right.

It was Grace, creating a diversion by using the gunpowder storage and making it explode.

Declan used the commotion to disappear from the courtyard and into the tree-line. He was slow, bleeding from multiple wounds, while he tried to get as far away from Fort James that he could.

He only stopped walking when he reached the end of the forest on the North side. There where the snow was the deepest and the cold was close to unbearable. In nothing more than a light shirt and his jacket, Declan finally lays down in the snow. Not feeling the cold at all and not aware that the pure, white of the snow is slowly coloured a deep red from the blood.

He felt light-headed and closed his eyes.

Declan Harp didn't get his revenge on Lord Benton.
He didn't get closure and his wife and child weren't avenged.

He was alone because he didn't know where Sokanon and Michael went.

And he was dying.

The last thing he thinks about before passing out was Elizabeth. The way she could look at him with those blue eyes of hers and offer her one of her smiles. And, Declan mourns her too.