Thirty Six

I whipped my head in Taehyung's direction.

"What?"

The man didn't notice my shock though. He was too wrapped up in his own, eyes glued to the woman who's made the biggest declaration I've ever heard.

Silver hair, like soft wire, trailed down to her shoulders. Her face, although was a little wrinkled, didn't look a year over 50. Her eyes were narrowed, her painted mouth a thin, cruel line.

She was covered in golden brown fur, from her neck all the way down to her heeled boots.

I bit my lip. The old woman looked more glorious than any young girls here. Including me.

Seeing her son's appalled expression had her chuckling. "Don't look so shocked. This face got passed down to you in the end."

Taehyung didn't retort back, to my astonishment. Just stared at his mom as if he's seen a ghost.

The woman scoffed, shuffling through her bag. "Don't just stand there gawking, boy. I want to speak to you."

He didn't listen. Didn't look like he'd comprehended the words that just left her mouth.

All of a sudden, his head snapped to the workers, watching the scene with wide eyes and subtle grins.

"Get...get back to work," Taehyung started, flicking his fingers in dismissal.

The audience hesitated, not making a move. Busybodies.

"Did you not hear me?"

A finger pointing ahead, the millionaire's face screwed up in anger. "I said get back to work!"

Instantly the men and women hurried to their normal positions, probably shitting themselves over his abrupt mood change.

"Argh," he groaned out, his fingers now working at his temple, trying to calm down.

I itched to give his hand a reassuring squeeze, but the way his mom assessed the distanced between us refrained me from doing anything.

"I always thought you were bipolar, Taehyung," she drawled out, picking at her beige acrylics.

"What do you want?" he snapped, all mocking tone and witty comebacks gone.

"My God, not even going to ask your dear mother how she is? How she's held up these couple of years?"

The look on her son's face was enough to click her tongue. "Better not answer that."

"Get to the point, mom," Taehyung snapped, his hands now fisted at his sides.

"Patience, grasshopper," she jeered, her plum coloured lips spreading into a perfect smile.

"I came here for many reasons in which I'll discuss with you in your office."

Taehyung scoffed. "I don't think so-"

She pivoted around, looking over her shoulder. "Be up in five minutes. Bring the girl too."

With that, she strolled to the lift and went inside.

I gasped at her as she made her way. What the-

"Lord have mercy," Taehyung muttered, closing his eyes as he let out a sigh filled with agitation and fatigue, exhaustion of his mom, himself and the whole world.

"That's your mom?"

A look thrown my way. "Isn't she the sweetest apple in the basket?"

"I'd rather have the oranges," I said, eyes not leaving that lift.

I turned towards the man at my side. "Are we seriously gonna follow her?"