The Hardest and Worst Option

**A Few Days Later**

[KEITH'S POV]

I observed every motion, and listened to every word while she was trying to teach guitar to Faith. It was implausible to see how good she was with the girls. She was a natural, and the girls loved her. When she wasn't around, they would talk about her and when she was they would always want to be with her. It blessed me to see my daughters take to her so well. Faith tried her hardest to play the chord that Lacey taught her. It was quite adorable to watch. Lacey's laugh was infectious. "Here... try it like this" she said helping Faith with her fingers and giving her the green light to strum. "There you go. You've got it!" Lacey encouraged her. Faith giggled. She was almost four, but she was dedicated to learning. It had made me proud.

For but a moment, it was nice to see Lacey interact so well with the girls. Nicole was on her way here though, and I soon had to let them go for a few days. Giving them to Nicole was always difficult. This time was going to be more so than ever before. I knew Lacey was struggling with meeting Nicole, which I understood why. I had just wished that I knew how to comfort her in all of it. For whatever reason, I was nervous as well. Maybe it was because I knew Nicole would hate that I was dating someone so much younger than me. Nicole wasn't an enemy. It was always inopportune, but I would never make her an enemy, especially knowing that she was the mother to my children. I had just hoped for her sake that Lacey wouldn't make her one.

My phone rang startling me and everyone else in the room. Nicole's name showed up on my screen. I quickly answered it.

"Hello" I answered.

"I'm in Nashville. I'm heading over. Are they ready?"

"Um... they are, yea. They can't wait to see you"

Nicole let out a light laugh. "I can't wait to see them. Alright, well I'll be over soon. See you" Nicole said and hung up.

A sigh left my body after hanging up. "Aright girls, Mommy is on her way. Go get your stuff. She can't wait to see you!" I told them. After doing so, they ran to their rooms to grab their stuff. They were both so excited, but I could tell that Lacey wasn't. "You okay?" I asked sitting down next to her.

She shrugged. "No... I'm terrified. Maybe I should just leave..."

"No, no, Lace, come on, she's really not that bad." I tried to encourage her. Nicole wasn't one for friendly hellos at times, but I had really hoped that she would be different today.

"Keith, she's your ex, and the mother of your children. She'll judge me right from the start. Of course, she'll judge me by my age too. We all know I don't look 26. I look like I'm 16. I don't want to meet her...." She confessed. I knew she was scared, but it almost hurt that she wasn't willing.

"She won't judge you. Age is just a number. I'm going to be here with you" I reassured her.

There was a long silence, and then a knock on the door. It was her, and Lacey's face was filled with fear. I squeezed her hand to comfort her before going to open the door. Sure enough, Nicole was standing there with a smile on her face. "They are getting their stuff. You can come in. I'll go get them!" I said. I figured that leaving the room for a quick second wouldn't be such a bad idea. Lacey looked at me, telling me not to leave with her facial expression. "Um. Do you want to get them?" I asked Lacey and gave her a wink.

"Sure..." she mumbled mouthing the words 'thank you' as she walked out of the room.

Nicole looked over at me and nodded. 'Is she that one girl?"

I looked at her with confusion. 'She has a name, you know? And yes, it is Lacey."

Nicole nodded and made a sound of judgment. "Is she your girlfriend? She looks like a teenager."