My Heart Breaking pt. 4

(Keith's Pov)

It had appeared that my parents adored Lacey. I could tell that she didn't want to leave for Oklahoma. It was odd that we were going to Oklahoma. Her dad was mean to her, and I didn't really know if I wanted to meet him. It was hard for me to fathom how anyone could be mean to Lacey. She had lived such a hard life that it reminded me that I was making the right decision by not telling her. I didn't want to hurt her anymore than she had already been hurt. The incident, I also didn't want to resurface. It was enough to know that I thought about it mostly every week. Maybe Lacey wouldn't be as hurt as I thought, but I knew she would think differently of me and I didn't want that.

The few days we were in Australia went by way too fast. Lacey didn't want to leave and I didn't either. Australia was a piece of me and it was always sad to leave. For the last couple of hours with our parents, they took us to the beach to hang out. Lacey was obsessed with beaches and I found it to be adorable. I wasn't so sure if she would look at a Tennessee beach the same after being in Australia. The Australian beaches were the majority of the discussion. It made me fall for her even more, which was making things harder for me. Suppose its true when they say that secrets keep you sick.

"Can I just live here forever!" I overheard Lacey in the midst of all my mumbo jumbo inside my head. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Maybe! I think you would miss Nashville though," I answered planting a kiss on her lips. We were both lying next to each other on the sand. When I was next to her it had felt like my world was finally right. Taking a bullet for her wouldn't have to be a choice, it would have to be need; in a heartbeat I would.

"I know. But at least I should own a vacation home here. It would be so perfect!" Lacey let a giggle escape her tiny frame. I wasn't sure how it was so possible that a girl who was so little could have such an infectious and adorable giggle. She always had a big voice, one that would sound incredible on an album. If only I would be able to talk her into writing more.

"Maybe someday you can!" I answered and gave her a soft kiss.

"What time is our flight, babe?" she asked.

"Mmm.... 4," I answered.

Her eyes opened wide as she broke up the kiss to look at her phone that read 3:30. I was always late to my flights. Lacey had a point about getting a plane. Maybe that should be my next investment. Lacey hated me for it. "We have to go. We aren't going to make it. Keith, I hate you," she said giving me a slap on the arm.

Lacey jumped up and grabbed her things. We told our goodbyes to my parents and headed back toward the house that was thankful just a walk up a hill. Lacey practically ran, packing as fast as she could as soon as we arrived to the house. She was like a mad woman. I unfortunately wasn't as fast as her. So much so that the girl started to help me shove my clothes in my suitcase. "We have to go! Come on!!" The girl grabbed my hand and rushed me out the door and toward the vehicle. "Drive! Drive!!" she practically yelled at me. What was it about this girl? The more sassy she became the more I loved her. I had hoped she knew it. I had only hoped that she knew I'd do anything in this world to protect her.

***In Oklahoma***

We had landed in Oklahoma and naturally Lacey had fallen asleep on the plane. I talked gently in her ear to wake her up. The girl was startled and looked up at me hitting me on the nose. "Ahh god..." I said under my breath.

"I'm so sorry! Oh my gosh!" Lacey seemed to feel terrible.

"No, babe. It's okay. We are here though" I responded.

'Great! We can leave now," she said sarcastically.

"Lace, come on. It won't be so bad. I'll make sure of it," I said trying to comfort her. But inside, I sure was nervous. I had to be brave for her though. I didn't blame her for being scared to see her father for the first time in 7 years.