Chapter 1- Huntington Library and Gardens

It had taken me over a year to save for this trip, and at this point, I'm debating over if it is really worth it or not. But then I remind myself that I have stayed in one state for far too long, and I need some excitement in my life.

Packing is hectic. I packed most of my things the night before, but two of my good friends visit me bright and early this Monday morning, practically unpacking everything I already packed and then putting it all back in again. Mary is a year younger than I am, and has lighter hair than I do. My hair has grown darker over the years from being in the cold parts of Oregon my whole life- mostly near the coast.

Alice is my age, and I envy her coal black hair, along with her bright blue eyes. My eyes were blue as well, but less bright. More pale. I don't know what it is about blue eyes, but people sure seem to love them. Perhaps because they are less common than brown eyes? They're certainly more pretty. Anyway, back to that exciting Monday.

"Where are all of your dresses?" Alice asks, folding one of my plain black tank tops.

"Dresses? I'm traveling across America, why would I need dresses?" I ask, raising an eyebrow in Alice's direction.

"Well what if you meet a guy, Cass?" Mary asks.

I sigh. "No time for romance. I don't mind being friends with men, but anything after that..." I trail off, using great effort to zip one of my large duffle bags shut. I have two bags in all, plus one smaller messenger bag I would carry with me at all times, like a purse. I step back as the zipper finally closes, content with my work.

"Anything after that?" Alice says, prompting me to continue.

"Right, anything after that is not okay. Not until after I finish this trip."

"What's the purpose of this trip, anyway?" Alice asks.

"To have fun," I explain. Though, that wasn't exactly the reason. I did want to have fun, but I also just want to accomplish something. I want to say I have traveled in my life. And if I was going to travel somewhere, why not through 12 different states?

"Oh, whatever," Mary says to Alice. "Just let her go. It's not our fault she's completely deranged."

I smile lightly, knowing she is just kidding around. Then I glance at my watch. "Alright, guys. It's about time I depart."

Alice and Mary both hug me before they help me take my things out to my rental car. Then, once my things are packed, they hug me again, and I get into the dark blue Toyota. It wasn't that great of a car, but if I just kept it filled with gas and stopped driving at night, it will be fine.

I start up the engine, and, with a final wave, I was driving. That's when my adventure finally begins. The roads at first were familiar, but after thirty minutes of driving, I have to take out my map.

First destination is California, the state below my own, and to get to the city I want to get to will take four or five hours. Sighing, I turn on the radio, and realize that this trip was bound to be boring whilst in the car. And that's what most of my trip will consist of. Driving.

After making six stops in all- whether it be to use to bathroom, get out and stretch, or eat some food, I finally arrive at the Huntington Library and Gardens. It was the start of Summer, so I knew that walking through all of the gardens was probably going to be a hot and dreadful task, but perhaps the beautiful sights will make up for it. Plus, I decided to take Mary and Alice's advice and put on a nice skirt and blouse at one of the rest stops. A skirt was way better in the heat than pants would be.

First on my schedule is to just walk through some of the gardens for half of the day, and then to have some tea in the tea-room before moving on to the library.