Chapter 9- Henry

I tug uncomfortably at my dress as Tom and I head for the same place he went to last night. It was a bar just down the street from our resort, so we decided to walk.

Tom was excited I was coming with him tonight, and he kept promising me I'd have fun. I wasn't so sure. I've never exactly been a drinker, and partying all night in a strange city with strangers? No, thank you.

"I don't exactly want to complain, but... If I get drunk, I will complain," I say. "Just warning you."

He laughs lightly. "Oh, I think I'll be able to handle it. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?"

And you know what happened then? Everything went wrong.

"Cassidy?"

I freeze. And not just my body itself. Everything freezes. My feet, my heart, and even time. That voice... It was the one reason I thought about skipping Vegas. But I didn't. And at that moment, I regretted it. At that moment, I just wanted to fade away, to melt to the ground, leaving Tom and our intruder to just forget I ever existed. At that moment, I just wanted to die.

Tom turns before I do, and I remind myself that I've got to face this new man. As much as I'd like to, I can't just run. So I turn.

"Henry," I greet, my voice cracking slightly. I think (hope) only Tom noticed.

Henry looked better than ever. Not more attractive. I wasn't still attracted to him. But he seemed healthier. More fit. Happier.

"I never thought I would see you in Vegas, Cass! This is totally not the type of place you'd normally go to. You're not here to try and get me back, are you?"

I force a smile. What a dick! Does he actually think I'm pathetic enough to beg for him to come back? "I just needed a change in scenery."

Before I can even react, Henry is moving towards me, and he hugs me lightly. Then he pulls away, holding me out at arm's length.

"Hm. Have you gotten bigger?" He asks. I can smell alcohol on his breath. My cheeks heat up at his question, and I look down, knowing he doesn't need me to answer.

"I prefer the term 'curvy'..."

And, just as I thought, instead of going with my 'curvy' idea, he continues.

"Have you been eating more? You know, comfort foods? Usually happens after breakups."

I open my mouth to respond, but can't think of anything to say to that.

Then Tom clears his throat lightly, staring at Henry.

"Oh, um... Henry, this is Tom. Tom... This is Henry."

"Good to meet you," Tom says, extending his hand. He still acts so nice, though the slight coldness on his voice suggests he already dislikes Henry.

Henry shakes Tom's hand.

"A Brit," Henry points out. "How do you like our country so far?" He must sound so smart to himself. But that's certainly not the case to us.

Tom smiles, but it doesn't quite meet his eyes. "Well... Cass' company has been wonderful."

Henry nods, not understanding that Tom sort of just said the only thing he was enjoying in America was me.

"Well, lovely seeing you," I quickly say, grabbing Tom's hand so I can drag him out of here. "We've got to get going."

"Woah, hold on! Are you two going out for some drinks?" He smirks at Tom. "Careful. She turns into a crazy slut when she's wasted."

Tom releases my hand, cocking an eyebrow at Henry. "Listen, there's no need to talk about her like that, okay?" He says quite calmly.