Chapter 26- Fireworks

Okay, guys :) this chapter has a bit of an unexpected twist. Well, it was unexpected to me. I guess this is what happens when I read too many romance novels in one day. I do hope you enjoy. I'm not sure about this chapter. All I know is that this needed to happen for upcoming chapters, so I just did it xD I got it over with.

Tom went on a jog early in the morning. He did it often back home in London, apparently, and was excited that he got the chance to do it again. I'm not sure what kind of person is happy after coming back from a jog in the sun, all sticky and sweaty. But I soon learn that Tom is that kind of person.

I was pondering between two casual sundresses to wear to our picnic when he came into my room, a brown paper bag in his hand.

"I brought you some breakfast," he says, smiling.

I turn, eyeing him as I cross my arms lightly. "Mm. Breakfast served by a sweaty man, my favorite. Now if you don't mind me asking, why are you so sweaty?"

"I went for a jog," he answers.

"A jog?"

He nods, placing the bag on the counter and walking to me. "I enjoy jogging."

"I suppose that explains how you're so fit, despite your sweets addiction."

He laughs softly, looking down. "I'm not that fit."

Oh, so he's being modest now. And shy. Modest, shy, sweet, and sweaty. Perfect combination.

"Oh, never mind that," I say. "What'd you bring, then?" I turn away from him and look at the two dresses on the bed. They're both short and rather thin, perfect for hot weather. The first is white and beige striped with a bit of a low neckline. The second is dark blue with small white polka dots. The neckline is a bit higher, giving it a more classic look.

"An apple fritter," he answers. I feel him move next to me, his hand resting on my shoulder. Thank you so very much, Tom. I don't mind physical contact. But when you're sweaty, the less physical contact, the better. "So what have we got here?"

"I can't decide which is better."

"Hm... I'd say the striped one. It may get hot today."

"We won't even get there until seven or eight, how hot can it be by then?"

"You never know," he says, shrugging lightly.

I nod. "So what are we going to do until seven, then? I'd very much just like to have a relaxing day."

"Then let's have a relaxing day," he answers with a smile. "We can nap, swim in the pool, visit another bookstore in town. Anything you'd like."

Visit another bookstore in town. That reminds me of the last bookstore we were in. I remember the disappointment I felt when Tom ended up not kissing me. And I think he was a little disappointed as well. But why did he chicken out? That's not like him at all. He always enjoys taking chances.

"We'll get to it all, Thomas," I say, meeting his blue eyes. "But first, I do believe you should shower."

He grins cheekily, staring down at me. "I probably should, hm?"

"Yes. So get out of here," I say, smiling as I give him a playful shove.

He chuckles and turns, heading for the door. "Be back in a bit, then, darling."

I shake my head as he leaves, smiling. What a cheesecake. A sweet, savory cheesecake that seems wonderful at first, but leaves a queasy feeling in your stomach afterwards if you have too much at once. In Tom's case, a feeling for guilt of breaking my promise so easily.