Chapter 19- Illinois

My alarm clock rings throughout the room early the next morning, forcing me to groan and force myself up out of the comfortable bed. Almost immediately, memories flood back into my head from last night. Dancing all night. Drinking, too. And only retiring for the night after two different bands had played and the place was getting ready to close.

Forcing myself the rest of way out of bed, I quickly shower, dress and pack my bags before finally going down to the red convertible, loading in my things. It felt so weird, to not have Tom here. But it felt exciting at the same thing, to know I'd be able to do this on my own.

Finally, I go back up to Tom's hotel room, knocking on the door. I wanted to let him know I was leaving now, even if it was seven in the morning. I didn't know if he'd be awake or not. But just a minute after I knock, I hear his voice through the door saying, "Come on in." So I do, and I see that he's still in bed, propping himself up with his arms. It seems that he only woke up not too long ago. And he looked fairly tired after last night's activities.

"Hey," I greet softly, smiling as I looked at him. Butterflies immediately formed in my stomach, but I knew they wouldn't last long. "Sorry if I woke you. I just wanted to let you know I'm leaving now."

"Okay," he responds. "Come here and give me a hug first." A smile forms on his face as I walk towards his bed, sitting on the edge. He wraps me in a tight hug, pulling me onto the bed with him as he laughs softly.

"Thomas..." I scold lightly, a smile on my face. I wanted nothing more than to just climb under the covers with him and sleep for a few more hours, but that honestly wasn't an option at the moment.

He just hugs me tighter, his face buried into my neck. "Be safe, Cass. And... Have fun, too."

"I will. And you, too. Text me the details on where we'll meet in Indiana. And try not to pick up any girlfriends while you're in Kentucky, got it?"

He laughs, his breath hitting against my skin. "Not likely. Not when you're waiting for me in another state."

I take a deep breath, breathing in his scent. Then I pull away from our hug. "It's no big deal, really. We'll see each other in two days. It won't be bad." I pat his curls lightly and smile. "Later, TW."

He smiles back, looking quite adorable. I wouldn't dare tell him such a thing, though.

Then I leave his room, shutting the door behind me. Putting one foot in front of the other, I head down to the car, start up the engine, and drive.

It felt weird without Tom. Ugh, I've said that too many times. I've got to stop saying it. But it sort of feels like I'm never returning to him. I'm driving, once again, by myself, and completely bored. So I decide to turn on some tunes to entertain myself.

~

I don't arrive in Illinois until quite a while later, and I slowly trudge into a good looking hotel, all while trying to take in a few sights to see. I would be able to nap a little before I head to the Willis Tower. I didn't exactly have anything fun planned in Illinois, so I don't know why I didn't just decide to go with Tom to Kentucky.

But when I get inside of the hotel, I learn something tragic. They just gave out their last room. But before I can trudge back out to my car and find a new hotel, someone stops me.

"You can always stay with us, miss. Share a room with Victoria if you'd like."

I turn to look at the owner of the voice, and see a woman. A tourist woman, of course, her brown hair cut short in a pixie style. Beside her is a man, who must be her husband, with dark thinning hair atop his head. And, finally, a teenage girl, whom must be their daughter, with long black hair and dark clothing, headphones in her ears. If you ask me, she just looked tired and done.