Chapter 13- Dinner and Roses

A knock sounded at my door at exactly 7:30, which was exactly when Tom said he'd 'pick me up'. First of all, he didn't really have any choice but pick me up for dinner since he's my permanent ride. Second, I did question how he managed to knock at exactly 7:30. Had he been waiting at my door, staring at his watch until the minute hand was exact? Not that I was staring at the clock, or anything. 

I open the door just a moment later, and Tom looks totally different. His hair -although it always looks good, even if he's just woken up- is styled neatly. Along with that, he's wearing a suit. An actual suit. An expensive-looking suit. 

"Where on Earth did you get that?" I ask under my breath, finally meeting his face. He doesn't need makeup. I mean, most guys don't wear makeup at all no matter what, but if they did, he wouldn't need it. Just his bright smile is enough to make him more beautiful than most people I know. And along with those cheekbones, his sea-like eyes, and classic nose, this guy has the ability to take over the world. 

"Get what?" His voice rings throughout my practically empty hotel room, and he looks confused. 

"That," I say. Then I point to the black suit, which hugs his body -not necessarily tightly, but well. And I touch the black silk tie around his neck, resting against his chest. "That." Taking his hand in mine, I lift up his sleeve, feeling the fabric. "All of this."

He chuckles as I touch the suit. "Well, ah, I've never quite had this happen before while picking up a girl..."

"I'm special," I simply answer, dropping his hand and shrugging. 

"That you are," he says, smirking. "I got these for you." His right arm appears from behind his back, holding, not one, but two red roses. 

It takes me a few seconds to remember to smile. But I don't immediately take them. "Is this some sort of habit of yours? Giving red roses to girls just... all of the time?"

"Well, not exactly. I just remembered that I didn't give you one while we were in Utah. So I'm giving you two now." He smiles. Sort of a proud smile, as if he thinks I'll think what he's doing is just the cutest thing ever, and I'll kiss him right then and there and drag him into my hotel room. Alright, that last part was an exaggeration. I'm sure the last thing he expects is for me to kiss him. 

"Oh, so that's what's going on. A rose for every state?" I ask.

"Yes, sort of." 

He still stands in the hallway, looking good enough for any woman to just want to eat him up, still holding out the roses awkwardly, waiting for me to take them, and smiling tightly, as if he's worried I won't take them. 

"Well, thank you," I finally say, gently taking the roses from him. And he looks relieved.

"You look lovely by the way," he adds, smiling even wider.

And there he goes. Falling into his gentleman routine. Trust me, I could write a Gentlemens' Rulebook just from being friends with Tom. 

Rule #1: Always be on time when picking up women. 

Rule #2: Bring something they like. Flowers, chocolate, expensive jewelry, etc.

Rule #3: After your desired woman accepts your gift, comment on how 'lovely' and 'devine' she looks. Avoid using words such as 'hot', 'sexy', or 'eatable'. You are a gentleman. Keep it together. 

Rule #4: Always offer to buy expensive things for her. Because who cares about your needs? It's all about her.

Rule #5: Apologize a lot. Even if you have done nothing wrong, but you see a chance you could slip in a 'sorry', do it.