Chapter 37- Sorrowful Autumn

The next morning, I wake up before Tom does- surprisingly- and lay in silence for some time. I never want to leave this bed, to be honest. It's incredibly soft and comfortable, and I have a beautiful, half-naked man next to me.

I play with his hair for a bit, observing him. He's lying on his stomach, his cheek against his pillow and his face towards me. My slight movement with his curls doesn't wake him up, and I smile lightly. He's kind of a heavy sleeper sometimes.

I sit up slightly, pulling the covers down a bit until his lean, taut, freckled shoulders are revealed. The small freckles are barely visible, but still there.

He stirs lightly, and his eyes slowly flicker open. He soon shuts them, though.

"What's the time?" He whispers.

"It's around eight o'clock," I answer, still playing connect-the-dots with his freckles.

He doesn't seem to care, though, as he opens his blue eyes once again. "Why are you up so early?"

I shrug. "I just can't sleep. I mean... We're in New York City, Tom."

"Yeah... I know," he says, almost sounding sad.

"I think I'm going to walk around the shops for a bit," I say softly. "Just to the shopping center around the corner."

Tom sits up suddenly, and I draw my hand back to my body. With his chest now exposed, he holds himself up with his arms. "I'll go with you."

I smile sadly, and cup his face in my hands. "What did Luke say?"

I gently pull him onto me, until half of his body is laying on my chest. I know he's still afraid of crushing me, but he shouldn't be afraid of that by now.

He sighs. "He said to keep the public appearances to a minimum."

A nod, smiling lightly. "Exactly. And have you seen that shopping center? It's packed. We'll go to the park after I get back. It's less crowded."

"I'm just worried," he says softly, lifting his head to look at me. And I could see his emotions and thoughts and feelings right through his eyes.

"I'll be fine, really. Just trust me." I press a long kiss to his forehead, and he shuts his eyes. "Trust me," I repeat.

"I trust you."

I almost feel as though this isn't right, making him stay in the hotel room while I venture around the city. But believe me, it's not my choice. I feel as though it's Luke and I attempting to help his career, and him only wanting to have fun. So I'm not sure who's side I want to be on now. For his career, or for his happiness?

Sorry, Tom. Your career lasts forever. But you will be happy again after this.

Tom let's me go then, sitting up on the bed and watching me as I bustle about, getting clothes and my purse. I feel embarrassed at first to dress in front of him, but he has no intention of looking away. And he's not staring to be creepy. He's just admiring.

I turn around the moment I slip my casual sundress over myself, and I see him looking at the outfit with uncertainty.

"What?" I ask, frowning.

The look is wiped off of his face suddenly as he looks up at me, shaking his head slightly. "Nothing. Nothing's wrong. You look beautiful, actually."

I look down, and sit on the edge of the bed, facing him. "I didn't know that was a bad thing."

He moves closer to me, smiling. "It's not, trust me. I was just thinking of all the other men who will think the exact same thing."

I roll my eyes lightly, smiling. "I really doubt anyone will hit on me, if that's what you're scared of."