Chapter 6- A Red Rose

I would like to dedicate this chapter to @mandraloki for being the first person to comment on my story so far:) So thank you for that!

~~~~

A few hours and twenty-three pictures later, Tom and I finally decided to head back, wanting to find a good hotel in time and get a good night's sleep. The climb back wasn't as bad, especially since we were pretty dry by that time. 

Heading back to the car, though, was when we ran into two young ladies who totally went crazy over Tom. Not in a bad way, though. I mean, he looked honoured that they recognized him and happy that they didn't draw too much attention towards him. They asked if I could take a few pictures of the three of them with their phones, and I of course agreed. 

"I'm so sorry about that," Tom apologized after they had gone.

"For what?" I had asked. "They totally had crushes on you. It was cute."

Tom looked away, smiling. Is he really not used to being adored by women? I thought. I mean, women sure seemed to adore him. I thought he'd be used to it by now. "I just didn't know if you were cool with being bombarded by fans."

"Yeah, it's totally cool," I said. Then we both got into the red car after I slipped on a cerulean blue sundress, and he a white T-shirt. Which, I'm not saying that made me slightly upset, but i̶t̶ ̶m̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶l̶i̶g̶h̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶p̶s̶e̶t̶. 

So now, after just ten minutes into the thirty minute drive to the hotel, I was both tired and hungry. It was already six thirty, but I didn't want to be rude and take a nap. So I decide to just rest my eyes. And so eventually, my head tips towards Tom, until it's gently resting on his shoulder. I make sure that he can still easily drive, though. Music from his phone plays on the car stereo. A song I didn't recognize, but still enjoyed.

"Tired?" Tom asks, sounding amused.

"Mhmm," I murmur lightly. "Is this okay?"

"Yeah, of course. That doesn't look too comfortable, though. Are you uncomfortable, leaning over like that?"

"I'll survive," I answer, smiling lightly. "You're actually quite comfortable."

Tom chuckles. "Good to know. I'll wake you when we get to the hotel, okay?"

I nod. I think this little set-back was definitely worth it. I mean, we should be half-way to Vegas right now, but it doesn't matter as long as we eventually get there. 

~

I wake up when I feel my shoulder being shaken gently. The car is parked and the top is up. As my eyes adjust to my surroundings, I realize the sun is down.

"We're here," Tom says gently. catching my attention. Then he opens his car door and steps out.

Confused, I check the time on my phone before following him out. It was nine forty-two. 

"Um, where are we exactly?" I ask, looking up at the hotel where we parked. It was a hotel I didn't recognize. 

"Almost in Nevada. Maybe a thirty minute drive from the border."

"You... You drove for what, three hours when you only had to drive for thirty minutes?"

"Yeah," Tom says softly, as if he's not sure if I'm angry or happy.

I walk around the hood up the car until I'm standing in front of him. "Thank you. I mean, you didn't have to do that, but you did." I wrap my arms around his neck, probably surprising him, and hug him tightly. "You're such a nice guy, you know that, right?"