When We Were Mercs (Jake Muller x Reader) Pt8.

(Y/N): "Absolutely, but there's one problem.''

Jake: "What problem? You speak French, you look practically IDENTICAL to Analyse, couldn't be more perfect."

(Y/N): "I know almost nothing about what deals that have in what circles."

Jake: "Nothin' a pot of coffee, a good research partner, and an all-nighter can't solve."

(Y/N): "Well, don't say I didn't warn ya. OK, let's do it."

Jake: "NOW who's making jokes?"

He gave me a smug look, but I couldn't help but smile and laugh.

(Y/N): "SHUT UP! Geek."

I gave his shoulder a nudge with mine.

Jake: "Rookie."

(Y/N): " ANYWAY! Wanna get started? "

Jake: "Sure, wanna order something to eat?"

(Y/N): " I'm OK for now, rather get right to it, ya know?''

Jake: "I hear ya. Let's get to it then."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We spent most of the night researching what connections they had with what dealers, how many people worked under them, names of past and present clients, even Analyse's speech patterns. Turns out, no one's getting into their distribution complex without a numbered Passcode and verbal password. The code was Analyse's birthday, and the Password was 'fire of the hawk'..... In french... And I speak BASIC french. Before Edonia, I was mainly on missions in the US and China. Thankfully, Jake has been transferred all over the world practically.

Jake: "Try again."

No matter HOW hard I tried to say it right, I kept saying:

(Y/N): "Feu de poulet."

I heard him let out an annoyed sigh, rubbing his forehead.

Jake: "(Y/N).... That's 'fire of chicken '. Unless the next weapon deal is at a barbecue, you gotta try harder. And that sounded NOTHING like what I just said. I said 'Feu du Faucon'. How does that translate to 'Feu de poulet'?"

(Y/N): "I'M TRYING! Give me a break!"

Jake: "The next weapons trade is in two days. You need to focus."

(Y/N): " I AM focusing! And what exactly are YOU gonna be doing while I'm RISKING MY LIFE?''

Jake: "Don't worry, I'll be close by. I just don't think it'd be a good idea for me to show my face around them, I kinda... Used to work with them when i was..."

His voice trailed off.

(Y/N): "When you were what?''

Then it hit me.

(Y/N): "Jake, what aren't you telling me?"

Jake: "I used to work with them... When I was dating.... Analyse."

I felt my eyes go wide.

(Y/N): "When you were WHAT!?"

Jake: "I know, I wasn't exactly totally sane back then. That combined with the fact that I needed the money...."

(Y/N): "And you didn't think to, I don't know, MENTION THAT before now?"

Jake: "And you've never made mistakes?"

There was that smug look again.

(Y/N): "OK, shutting up now. I can still think of one problem. The odds of my voice sounding EXACTLY like hers to get past the voice-recognition, slim to none.''

Jake: "I thought of that too. So I got my hands on this little baby."

He held up what looked like an old computer hard drive.

(Y/N): "And an old piece of tech is gonna help us.....how again?"

Jake: "OK, yeah, it LOOKS like a piece of junk

(Y/N): "Oh, it looks like a piece of somethin'."

Jake: "But plug this thing into the voice analyzer. After that, it could be me talking and it'll let you in."

(Y/N): "OK, so, plug this in and I should be golden?"

Jake: "Exactly."

(Y/N): "so now all that's left is a little hair dye. Red right?"

Jake: "A blood-like red, apparently. But I think you might need to bleach it first. Color won't take like it is now."

(Y/N): "Well, thank you, Tim Gunn!"

He shot me a 'fuck off' look and I had to laugh.

(Y/N): "I guess I need to go pick that up soon then. We're running out of time as it is."

Jake stood up and grabbed his jacket.

Jake: "I'll go get it. You stay here and practice that pass-phrase."

He put on his jacket as he opened he door. I heard him mumbling under his breath.

Jake: "Fire of chicken."

(Y/N): "Shut up and go already!"

I laughed through my words, picking up the English-to-french book on the coffee table.

(Y/N): "Feu du Faucon."

I let out a small gasp and felt my eyes grow wide.

(Y/N): "Feu du Faucon. THAT'S IT! I GOT IT! Jesus Christ, about time!"

I dropped the book face-down on the table and leaned back on the couch.