When We Were Mercs (Jake Muller x reader) Pt33.

It turns out, the grenade landed by a wall that held up most of what was left of the building. Because as soon as it went off, the whole place started falling apart. Jake pushed me out of the way of a massive amount of falling debris.

Stasia: "DEVIN, WE NEED TO GO! NOW!"
They both ran off towards the wall, opposite from where we were. Devin set up a remote bomb at the bottom of the wall, taking a few steps away before detonating it.

Devin: "SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE ANGEL!"
By now, the entire building was beyond saving. I went to run as best as I could towards the opening in the wall.

(Y/N): "Jake, c'mon, we can get out!"
I turned back to look at him...That's when I saw that Jake's entire lower body was pinned under a pile of, what used to be a wall. When he pushed me out of the way, he couldn't get out of the way himself.

Jake: "FORGET IT, JUST GO!"
I ran back to him, dropping to my knees next to him.

(Y/N): "Like hell. I'm not leaving you here."

Jake: "There's no time! You need to get out now!"

(Y/N): "NO!"
I tried to move at least SOME of the debris off of him. I was still sore from whatever they did to me while I was knocked out, and I was next to useless as a result.

(Y/N): "C'mon, I can get you out of here."
He put a hand on my face.

Jake: "Listen to me. Alex was right behind me, he's not far from here. There were a couple snipers, he stuck around to take 'em out. He'll help me get out. So please, go....For me."
I put my hand over his and nodded. I leaned in and kissed him. something felt off. That kiss. It felt like 'goodbye'. I had a small golden ring on my right middle finger. I slipped it off and opened his hand.

(Y/N): "Bring that back to me, OK? I trust you, but I know you keep your promises. So you bring that back OK?"
There a painful look that flashed across his face. 

Jake: "OK. I promise I'll get it back to you."

(Y/N): "......I love you."

Jake: "I love you too. Go ahead, I'm right behind you."
-------------------------------Jake P.O.V.-------------------------------
I hate that I had to lie to her, but she wouldn't have gone otherwise. But I love her too much to let her stay with me and possibly get herself killed. Seeing her run for the opening in the wall, in a sad way, was the best and most beautiful thing I could see. When she was far enough away that she couldn't hear me, the panic and fear hit me.

Jake: "Well, this is a fuckin' picture. Fuck. Jesus Christ, I'm gonna die. This is it, this how I go out. Well, at least she's safe. She's gonna hate me for the rest of her life for lying to her, but she's safe. Well shit, if I'm gonna go out...Might as well go out swingin'."
I pulled out my handgun and aimed at 2 snipers still in the building. Then I saw one of them aiming towards her, she was only halfway to the opening.

Jake: "Over my. Dead. Body."
I got a clean shot to his head. Right after that, another explosion went off where the other sniper was. The building had maybe a minute left standing.

Jake: "Well...This is it. Goodbye (Y/N). You're always gonna hold my heart. I just wish I could've held yours for a little longer."
-------------------------------Your P.O.V.-------------------------------
I made it out of the building just as another explosion went off. I turned and watched in tears as the entire building came crashing down. With Jake still inside.

(Y/N): "No!..NO! GOD NO! JAKE!!!!"
I dropped to my knees as the entire building fell to the ground. I fell onto my elbows and sobbed.

(Y/N): "DAMMIT! Jake, no. I can't lose you, not now. And sure as hell not like this. Please...I can't keep going without my heart."
I heard the sound of heavy breathing under a pile of rubble.

(Y/N): "HANG ON I'M RIGHT HERE!"
I ran over as fast as I could, hoping that maybe it was Jake. I somehow got my strength back throwing pieces of cement and heavy wooden planks aside like they were nothing. I got a fair amount of it off before I realized I was wrong.

Stasia: "H-hey there sugar. Well, this is just perfect. (Y/N), I need you to understand something. What I did, I did to protect you. Do you know WHY I came looking for you in the first place?"
She looked so....Defeated. Like she had no fight left in her .

(Y/N): "........You can explain after I get you out of here."

Stasia: "Damn. After all I've done to you, physically and otherwise. Still, you're willing to help me."

(Y/N): "You're my sister. I'm not about to leave you to die. Wheres Devin?"
She turned her head towards a hand sticking out from under another pile. In some strange way, my heart sank a bit.

Stasia: "Thank you. Devin was right. You ARE an angel."
------------------------------- time-skip-------------------------------
I dug her out of the rubble and We started back towards the base.

Stasia: "OH MY GOD!"
I saw him at the same time she did. Alex.....Dead. Took a bullet straight through the head.

(Y/N): "Holy shit. He lied."
------------------------------- time-skip-------------------------------
We got back to the base and up to our room.

Stasia: "Do you want to know why I came looking for you in the first place?"

(Y/N): "Hey, I lost everything today. What's a little truth gonna hurt?"

Stasia: "You were in danger. The people that were after our father, found out about you. If I had waited much longer, they would've found you. No doubt, they would've killed you. Devin knew you better than anyone. Sister or not, I knew absolutely NOTHING about you. I needed a way in, so you'd trust me. Everything I said about keeping my distance was bull. The truth is, I DO trust you. I DO love you. More than anything, I'm begging you to forgive me."
I looked at her, and I realized I couldn't say no. Not to my mother's eyes.

(Y/N): "C'mere."
I opened my arms and she fell right into them. I held her so close as the full impact of today hit me like brick to the face. I had lost everything. My friends, my heart...Everything. We fell asleep like that, but by the time I woke up...She was gone. With a note on my desk being the only thing left.

'(Y/N),
Thank you for forgiving, but I can't forgive myself. I'll come back some day, I promise. You're never alone.'

Under the note was her locket. I opened it and looked at my mother's picture.

(Y/N): "What do I do now, mom?"