When We Were Mercs (Jake Muller x reader) Pt9.

I was starting to get worried. It was still dark out when Jake left to get the hair dye, and now the sun is completely up. Edonia isn't exactly 'the nicest place in the world'. But he should've been back hours ago.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About an hour, I hear heavy footsteps thumping down the hall, followed by banging on the door.

(Y/N): "Jake, I swear to god, you're gonna break the door down."
I got up from the couch.

Jake: "Hurry up! Before they catch up to me!"
I ran over and threw the door open. He ran past me and slammed the door out of my hands. That's when I noticed his split lip and bloody nose.

(Y/N): "Jake, you're scaring me, what's going on, who's following you? What happened to you?"
He put his elbow on my shoulder and a hand on his hip, leaning on me, trying to catch his breath.

Jake: "They know we're tracking them."

(Y/N): "WHO?"

Jake: "The Thompson ring. I don't know how, but they know."

(Y/N): "OK, let's sit down. What happened?"
I followed him over to the couch and sat down next to him. He was able to catch his breath and starts explaining.

Jake: "I was on my way to pick up the hair color and bleach, when someone called me and tapped my shoulder. I thought it might be Alex, so I turned around. I figured he was trying to catch me before i got too far out. But when I turned around, all I saw was a fist headed for my face. I dodged the first swing, but he got me with the second."

(Y/N): "Who?"
I got up and got a wet paper towel.

Jake: "Beats me. He was a big guy, Russian accent."

(Y/N): "Anything else? Anything specific?"

Jake: "Uh, 'bout my height, dark hair, I think he had a scar across his face? As soon as I got back on my feet, I ran. No way I could've taken that guy alone."
I put my fingertips under his chin and turned his face towards me.

(Y/N): "Hold still. Where did you run to?"
I wiped the dried blood away from his nose and lips, careful around the split going across both of them.

Jake: "An old factory, shut down a few years ago. Slipped in through a busted air vent. I thought I lost the guy but after a few minutes I could hear him break down the door."

(Y/N): "Jesus Christ, Jake!"

Jake: "I'll give him THIS much, he's got determination. Kept me held up that whole time, looking for me. How long was I gone anyways? OW!"
I had let my finger slip off the towel and right onto the cut on his lower lip.

(Y/N): "Sorry, I'm sorry. Almost 7 hours, I didn't even know which way you went. I KNEW I should've gone with you! You should've let me go too, maybe we could've gotten the guy."

Jake: "No offense, but there's no way the both of us could've taken him down flyin' solo. Would've taken at least two other people to make a dent. Last thing he did before leaving the factory was shout out a 'message', as he put it."

(Y/N): "Message?"

Jake: "Yeah, 'We still have eyes on you. You can't run forever, Muller'. Then I heard him talk to someone over the com-links. Said that 'this is Luca. Target lost, requesting regroup and air-lift', meaning that their not here anymore."
I tossed the towel in the trash can next to the couch and handed Jake an ice-pack.

(Y/N): "How do you figure?"

Jake: "Who needs and air-lift to go from point A to point B if their so close by?"
He reached into his jacket and pulled out a crumpled, dirty piece of paper and handed it to meas he put the ice on his nose. I unfolded it and read it out loud.

(Y/N): "Weapons deal location and date transferred: South American base, Jan 4th, 09:00 hours. The hell does that mean?"

Jake: "Means they got smart and moved the meet-up site and time. Check the date again, that's tomorrow."

(Y/N): "Tomorrow...So basically, we're fucked."
He looked away and shook his head.

Jake: "Not by a long-shot."

(Y/N): "Jake, there's no way in hell that we can track them, find the base and get there BEFORE the deal goes down!"

Jake: "You ready for a little cliché luck?"

(Y/N): "Why not? I'll take anything right now."

Jake: "Where did I tell you I was stationed when I worked for them?"

(Y/N): "You didn't."
He gave me a knowing look and slight smile.

(Y/N): "No way. Jake, you gotta be shittin' me."

Jake: "Nope. My first mission for them was a search and recover mission. New high-tech weapon that could've been the biggest profit they'd ever turned around if they sold it. First and last job I did for 'em."

(Y/N): "How long is it gonna take get us a chopper outta here?"

Jake: "Alex has connections, he's a former B.S.A.A. pilot. He'll get us there in time."