Decisions, Decisions (Prologue Part 2)

Note: chapter does contain swearing. (Well, it's Jack, so what were you expecting?)

Jack's POV

I was back at my house. In the middle of my living room. How did I get here? Was I not in the middle of ... dying? Maybe I had a weird dream and ended up sleepwalking. Although I've never sleepwalked before... It could happen, though.

All thoughts of sleepwalking disappeared from my mind as I heard a familiar voice. "What just happened?" I turned around, and there before me was the fan I had just met. She was facing away from me, and she sounded scared. It was as if she had no clue where she was.

"Y/N?" I called her name, and she turned around. She froze for a second as her face went from confusion to terror, then recognition. "How did you get into my house?" I asked, a very legitimate question, seeing as she was supposed to be an imaginary character from my dream.

"Jack," she began, "what happened to you?" I was confused. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with me. I was standing, so I still had two legs, and I could feel my arms just fine. Was there something on my face? She continued. "You've gone completely white. Even your clothes are white. It's like..." she trailed off. "It's like you're a ghost."

(Author's note: I don't know Irish words for stuff. I'm an American. Sorry) I looked down at myself in order to confirm her statement. My normally green jacket and black shirt were whiter than a clean sheet of paper, as were my black jeans. It was hard to tell with my skin, because I'm naturally pale, but it was definitely lighter than before. Even my Bloodborne tattoo was barely visible against my skin. "What the fuck?!" I was terrified. I looked back up at Y/N, hoping for an explanation of some sort. I then noticed something I hadn't before. There was an extra door in my living room. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

"What's wrong?" Y/N saw my confused stare and turned around. Seeing the door didn't surprise her, but it wasn't her house. She turned back around, confused. "It's just a door."

"Yeah, except that door has never been in this house before." She gave me a look of surprise, then moved out of the way as I went to open the door. I grabbed the silver door knob and turned, pushing the door into the room.

Y/N POV

As the colorless Jack walked through the door, I followed close behind. We walked into a bright, white room. It was hard to tell where the wall ended and where the floor began. The ceiling might as well have been nonexistent. In the middle of the room were two slabs of white quartz, with enough space between them for someone to walk through. On these slabs were the bodies of a man in a green jacket and black pants and a woman in a business casual outfit. As we got closer, we recognized the bodies. There before us was ... ourselves.

"This isn't just me right?" Jack asked, sounding slightly scared. "Those are us right in front of us." I turned to face him, and realized that in this room Jack was practically invisible. I could still see the hope in his eyes, pleading that this was some sort of dream. I couldn't help but feel for the petrified Irishman. He was not only witnessing his own body lying before him, but he also had a fan he just met randomly appear in his house and tell him he was whiter than a piece of paper.

"Well, I know there's one thing I always wear that no one else could have a replica of," I tell Jack. "My father was a metalworker. Once, he made me this beautiful heart locket. I always kept a recent picture of me in it. It was always around my neck." I approached my body and reached around my neck. Sure enough, there was my locket, as beautiful as ever. I turned to Jack. "As much as I hate to say it, these are real."

"I could've told you that." I whipped around as I heard a girl speak. Jack turns and looks as well. There before me was a woman around my age, with milk chocolate skin and short, curly dark hair. She was wearing a relatively normal outfit, just a pastel blue tank top and jeans. "Though one of you can't even hear me, so asking would've been pointless." She smirked a bit. I turned to Jack. He seemed confused.

"Is she saying something? I can see her lips moving but I don't hear anything." My eyes widen in surprise. Jack can't hear her? But why can I hear her then? I explain to Jack what the woman said, and he nods. "So she is saying something." He makes some light humor, despite the situation we seem to be in. Jack turns back to the woman. "Who are you?"

(Note: I didn't misspell Maragret. This character is slightly based off my friend)"Technically you don't need to know, but call me Maragret." She replies casually. "And you can hear me because you're the one I need to talk to, not him." Seeing my surprised look, she laughed. "Yes, I can read your thoughts. Not his, though."

"Ok, Margaret-" I began.

"No. Maragret. Mar-a-gret."

Ok, Maragret, why are our bodies laying on these slabs of stone? And what does that make us?" I was scared and confused. I wanted answers, and I was not in the mood for this.

"Well, Y/N, that would make you two spirits. As for why your bodies are on these slabs, Jack was stabbed while walking home." I froze. He was stabbed? "Yes. That's what I said." Maragret's voice softened. "Last night, a few minutes after you two went your separate ways, Jack was murdered in an alley." I looked to Jack. He still didn't know what was going on

"Jack..." I could feel the tears coming to my eyes. I ran up and hugged him.

"Woah." Jack stumbled a bit. "What's the hug for?" He chuckled a small bit. I looked up at him. He saw my face and his smile fell. "What's wrong?"

"Jack, last night you were murdered." I hated saying it, especially after all we've been through within the past hour, but he needed to know. Jack's eyes seemed to go glassy as he took in this fact. He sat down. I tried to sit next to him, but he held up his hand.

"Just- just give me a minute." Seeing the man in such a state of despair hurt more than I thought it would. It was enough to make anyone cry. But I realized there still was one question left to be answered.

Jack's POV

"Maragret, if Jack was stabbed, then what am I here for?" I turned to look at Y/N as she continued. "Am I dead too?" Please don't let her be dead. If she's dead too, I wouldn't be able to forgive myself. I held her up. It would be my fault. I watched Y/N's face as Maragret spoke, and saw a flash of relief, followed by guilt. Probably from feeling relieved that she was alive when I was dead right next to her. She didn't need to feel guilty. I was relieved she was alive as well.

Y/N's POV

"However, there's something I need to talk to you about, as I said before." My guilt turned to curiosity as Maragret continued. "You know who Jack is, correct?" I nodded. He's a famous YouTuber with over millions of subscribers. "He's done a lot of good for a lot of people, and a lot of those people need him still. So, I am giving you a choice, one that only you can make. You were the last person Jack interacted with, so this rule falls to you. The thing is, someone had to have died there. Your choice is whether or not you'll switch places with Jack." My eyes widened yet again. Switching places with Jack...but at the cost of my own life. "Of course Jack would understand if you choose not to. He'd probably encourage you not to. The question is," Maragret walked towards me until she was less than a foot away. "Are you willing to give up your life for this man?"

I thought about it for a minute. Was I really willing to give up my life for this man? Yes. Of course I was. But would he be okay with it? No. Jack's too selfless. He wouldn't allow it. So he can't know. How long would it take? Maragret startled me as she replies with "14 days. Exactly two weeks." With that, my mind is made. I turn to Jack and smile.

"Jack, you're getting your life back."