Bowling

Y/N's POV

Night 3

The sun was setting as we headed in for the day. The door disappeared behind us, like most of the doors Maragret had willed into existence. In fact, the only door left that wasn't there before was the door into Maragret's working space. We didn't really plan to go back in there anytime soon, though. Seeing our own bodies is kind of creepy, so we don't plan on doing that again. As we walked in, I noticed Maragret waiting at the dining table with a smirk. "What are you so happy about?"

"While you guys were out walking, I made a bowling alley, complete with racking system, pizza, soda, and bowling balls of various sizes," Maragret proudly stated. "Also, you know how annoying it can be to make multiple copies of the exact same thing? If you lose count once you have to go back and hope you don't count one twice. Or maybe that's just me. Oh well." I looked to Jack with a big smile, then remembered Jack can't actually hear Maragret.

"You up for some bowling?" I say, smiling at him. Jack's face lights up with a smile.

"I haven't been bowling in so long! Lead the way!" Jack basically shouts. Not like he's ever not shouting. Maragret laughs as she hears my thought, then walks over to a new door in the wall. She opens the door, then gestures as if to say "you coming or what?" We walk in and see the welcome sight of a bowling alley.

The rows of waxed lanes shine like a clean car, and the pins stand at attention with a soldier's stiffness, but at the same time the balance is fragile, as if it should be tipped by the slightest breath of wind. The various weights of bowling balls were scattered in the various stands, but three balls were sitting in one of the ball returns: a nice 12 for Jack, a (heavier bowling ball weight) for me, and a (lighter bowling ball weight) for when my first bowling ball gets too heavy. You know what I mean.

"Whoever loses gets to make cake tomorrow," Jack said, most likely confident he would win. What he didn't know was that bowling was actually one of my better skills.

"You're on, coffee boy," I said, then set up the board for a casual match.

~ (anyone wanna play name the tilde?)

It had been a surprisingly close match. Jack had stayed very close behind me. However, it was down to the last turn, and Jack needed a strike to beat me. He was determined to have free cake. Lining up to take his last shot, he rolled the bowling ball. It rolled its way down the aisle, coming up to the front pin and knocking it over, causing a chain reaction. As the pins stopped moving, it could be seen that a single pin was left standing. "NO! That is not fair!" Jack pouted. "Someone rigged these pins. That has to be it."

"Jack, no one rigged the pins. That's just how bowling balls work." I said, laughing. "Besides, if you made cake on your own it'd never leave the kitchen. I'll help you make the cake."

"Yay!" Jack brightened yet again. He was a child at heart, that was undeniable. But at the same time, one couldn't help but love his personality.

The day was so fun I didn't even remember I was to die within two weeks.

Author human here! Didn't know whether or not to say anything, but we're up past 100 reads. So thank you for caring enough to read this book. It means a lot to me.

-a human