Off Key

Author human here! This was requested by a Wattpad friend of mine, named MeLiekBentos , and she's been supporting me ever since I started this, basically, so I took it up almost immediately. I edited it a little bit, though. I hope that's okay?

-a human

Y/N's POV

Morning 3

I woke up later than yesterday, but Jack wasn't up yet, so I decided to make breakfast again. This time I decided to make omelettes. As I was making breakfast, a song came to mind, one that I knew well. As I grabbed out the ingredients, I began to sing.

"Like a small boat on the ocean..." I began, cracking eggs, and putting them into a bowl. "Sending big waves into motion." I whisked the eggs together, making a yellow liquid. "Like how a single word can make a heart open." I poured the mixture into a pan, then began to chop up some vegetables and ham. "I might only have one match, but I can make an explosion."

"And all those things I didn't say were wrecking balls inside my brain." I was startled when Maragret appeared next to me and began to sing some. "I will scream them loud tonight. Can you hear my voice this time." I cut in there, continuing with the chorus of the song.

"This is my fight song. Take back my life song. Prove I'm alright song." I sang, louder than before. "My power's turned on. Starting right now I'll be strong. I'll play my fight song. And I don't really care if nobody else believes, 'cause I still got a lot of fight left in me." I put the chopped pieces of food into the partially cooked egg mix, then folded it in half and squished it a little.

"Losing friends and I'm chasing sleep. Everybody's worried about me. In too deep." Maragret harmonized alongside me as I continued with the second verse, putting the omelette on a plate. "Say I'm in too deep. (In too deep.)" I started with the next omelette, pouring the egg batter once more. "It's been two years. I miss my home, but there's a fire burning in my bones. Still believe." I left out the peppers on this omelette, not wanting to eat a spicy omelette today. "Yeah I still believe." Maragret dropped out, allowing me to sing the bridge this time.

"And all of those things I didn't say were wrecking balls inside my brain. I will scream them loud tonight. Can you hear my voice this time." I was about to head back into the chorus, placing the second omelette onto a plate, when I was cut off by an extremely off-key voice, coming from the doorway to the kitchen.

"This is my fight song." Jack was attempting to sing with us, but was failing miserably. He was at least two keys off, and kept switching between one key and another. I cringed, as he continued. "Take back my life song. Prove I'm alright song." That was as far as I could stand to hear the catastrophe.

"Jack. Stop." Jack turned to look at me, frowning at me. "You are completely off-key. Please take some singing lessons." Jack laughed, surprising me. I criticize his singing, and he laughs? Maragret looked as confused as I was.

"You really think I sing that badly?" Jack asked after a while. I was confused. "I was messing with you! I'm normally a much better singer than that, and though I'm nowhere near as good as you, I can at least hold a key."(unlike my sister) Jack laughed once again at my furious look.

"You ruined a perfectly good song for no reason. For that, I'm eating your omelette." Jack stopped laughing, worrying for his breakfast. I picked up his plate and some silverware and began to eat. Jack growled, then stopped and smirked at me.

"If you eat my food, I'll eat yours." And with that, Jack stole my omelette from earlier. I was okay with it, since I was eating his food, but I pretended to be mad.

"Hmph," I said, turning away from him. Jack just laughed. It was a rather funny scene.

Extra bit for those who don't like spicy food

I made a face as the spice registered in my mouth. "I regret this decision." Jack was confused, so I explained that I added peppers to his food, but not mine. He laughed as he traded plates with me once again, then got up to grab me a glass of milk. I gratefully ate my non-spicy omelette, not caring that Jack had already taken a few bites out of it.