Prologue

4 years ago

12:29 AM.

I look at the harness that secures me, check the carabiner, make sure that everything's okay.

Gripping the rope with both hands, I test it.

Perfect.

"Are you okay?" Brandon's voice in my ear asks, remembering me that I am not alone in this.

I never felt alone with him.

"Yes, it's all good," I reply, before focusing on what I need to do.

"Then let's do this, Soph." His words make me smile and I take a deep breath before loosening my grip on the rope.

Let's do this.

I almost can't see anything in this complete darkness, even with the headlamp. The humidity makes me shudder as I go deeper in this abandoned elevator. It hangs suspended by some old wires and ropes. I glance around me, realizing how confined this actually is.

"Who would think to such a place to hide it?" I mutter under my breath, getting closer to one of the wall.

"That's exactly why they hide it there, sweetheart," Brandon says matter-of-factly.

"Thank you, Captain Obvious."

His deep chuckle helps me breathing easier again and takes off the heavy weight of my shoulders I didn't know I had until now. I can focus again.

"How much time do I have, now?" I ask, raising my head up to glance at the rope.

"Don't think about that and focus on what you need to do," he orders, making me shake my head. "Let me handle the rest."

"Brandon—"

I suddenly let out a scream when the rope loosens too much, giving me the impression of falling. I grip the rope again and I find myself entangled with it, swinging above the emptiness. The hole. The death.

Fuck.
Now is not the time to die, Sophia.

"Soph? What happened?" Brandon asks quickly, sounding concerned.

"I'm good." I grit my teeth as I try to get out of the mess I created.

My heartbeat increases. This is a mess.

We're running out of time.

"I'm stuck with my stupid rope!" I hiss, feeling like I'm starting to lose my shit.

Not now, Sophia. Later, but not now.

"Sophia, everything's fine. We still have plenty of time..."

"We don't, Brandon!" I exclaim, my voice echoing in the confined place, and I start to feel claustrophobic.

Not now, for fuck's sake.

"Sophia?"

I close my eyes and take deep breaths. Brandon doesn't say anything anymore.

After a few seconds, I feel my phone vibrating in my front pocket and I frown. With a trembling hand, I take it out.

 With a trembling hand, I take it out