Thirty-two

Previously...

"You were with the enemy for four years," I say, glancing at Brandon. "Your girlfriend was the enemy and you didn't realize anything?"

I knew Nova wasn't what she pretended to be. God, I knew it. Even with the lie detector, she was good enough to fool us.

I grit my teeth. Good thing she's dead.

Brandon finally speaks up, raising his head towards me. "How could I? I don't understand how..." He shakes his head and sighs.

"What about the Master?" Britt says, looking at Mr. Neil who hasn't talked yet. "Maybe Vincent Alvarado is the Master."

"Maybe he is," Garry finally declares, raising his head. "But if he knew that Agent Montgomery was coming, he wouldn't have just stayed there for her to notice him so easily."

"He hasn't even looked at me. The Master knows I was coming, or at least that's what I think." I pause, thinking about all of this. "But it would make sense if Vincent Alvarado is the Master, after what happened years ago."

"And what does he want?" Brandon asks, looking at me carefully. "Revenge?"

"I didn't give him what he wanted, did I? He killed you but it didn't work, tried to kill me, and in the end, I threw his little diamond away, making sure he wouldn't be able to get it."

I can tell he's surprised. He didn't know the whole story and still doesn't. I'll probably never tell him any more details of that night because I can't keep thinking about it. Too bad I now have to think about it again.

"What do we do, now?" Britt questions, her eyes going from me to Brandon.

I take a deep breath. I don't know. I don't know what to do anymore. Every time we find out about something, it doesn't feel like we're getting closer to the truth, to the end of all of this. It just feels like we're burying ourselves, and soon, we won't be able to breathe.

However, I must say something, because I'm still the Bird. I'm still the one who's the most involved, even though Brandon has been with the enemy for four years without knowing it.

Even if Mr. Neil has the authority, he still looks at me and waits. So, I open my mouth and say something.

"We find out the whole truth... and we destroy The Circle."

I think I know how to do the first step. I'm just not sure if they will let me.

*

I know it's probably a bad idea. It seems like I've been taking a lot of bad decisions, lately.

But at this point, who cares? If I'm really about to go on with my plan, then...

I need to see him. At least one last time.

I grit my teeth. Who would have thought I would be nervous to stand in front of Brandon's dorm room. Is it just nervousness or something else?

Why do I even feel something? When did it happen?

A while ago.

Closing my eyes, I shake my head. I can still walk away. I can do what I have to do, without telling him anything. However, I feel like I owe him that. I owe him something real. The truth. Or at least, a part of it. I owe it to him and to myself.