Thirty-seven

She approaches me with a big smile, wearing a short black dress. In her hands is a coffee tray.

"Coffee?" she proposes, her voice sweet.

"You bitch," I spit, shaking my head and glaring at her.

Nova smirks and walks to the coffee table to put down her tray. She lets out a content sigh and crosses her arms, tilting her head towards me.

"You looked better, Sophia. What's the matter?" she says, smirking.

I tighten my grip on the knife. "You're supposed to be dead."

"You of all people should know better." She snickers, shaking her head.

I scoff. "Of course. It was too good to be true."

Nova glares at me. I smile.

"So all this time, you were working with the enemy." I pause, throwing a disgusted look at the other person in the room. "With my... father."

She turns towards him, raising an eyebrow. "You didn't tell her?"

Matthew King shakes his head. "I was waiting for you."

They smile at each other. It makes me sick.

Nova turns towards me, shrugging. "He's my father, too."

It feels like she just punched me in the stomach. I back away from her, out of breath, glancing at my father in shock.

"What?" I mutter, looking back at her. "What do you mean?"

"I married her mother. Nova is your stepsister," Matthew King declares proudly.

Please, tell me this is a nightmare.

"This is disgusting," I say, taking a step back from them. "I can't believe it."

"Don't talk like that about your family," he orders coldly, and my blood boils.

"You are not my family!" I scream, slowly losing my mind. I turn to glare at Nova. "And how could you do that to Brandon? You didn't give a damn about him, right?"

She raises her head. "I really cared about him."

I let out a laugh. "Right. Your father probably thought of this. Am I right?"

They stay silent. Nova narrows her eyes at me.

"All that matters is that we're together now. We're a family," the Master utters, smiling. I'm about to throw up. "We'll make great things together."

"Go to hell." I laugh harshly, staring angrily at the both of them. "I don't belong to you. Never will. So now, you have two options. You let me go, or you kill me."

"I can't do that, my little Bird," he says, frowning.

Nodding, I adjust my grip on the knife. "But I can."

I throw the knife at Nova. It plunges into her shoulder and she falls backward on the couch, screaming in pain. Walking towards her, I pick her up by the hair and pull out the knife, positioning it against her neck. She groans, her face grimacing.