One

Four years later
Present day

"She says it's urgent, sir," the young woman repeats to her interlocutor, glancing at me carefully.

"How urgent?"

I smile sweetly at the woman. Her big, blue and innocent eyes blink at me with fear, and I almost feel bad.

Almost. Too bad she's working with the wrong people.

"If he doesn't believe how urgent it is, we can show you," I state as I lean against the counter, showing her my hidden weapons underneath my coat.

The receptionist swallows, her eyes widening. She turns slightly her head, looking at the floor as she takes the phone again.

"Clara?"

"Clara, huh?" I smile, hearing the voice on the other end of the phone that she can barely hold right now. She turns her head slightly towards me, nodding.
"Listen, honey, I don't have the whole night. So—"

"Tell your stupid boss we need to see him. Right now," Andrew interjects, and I snap my eyes towards him.

He ignores the cold look I give him and stares at the woman.

"Okay, okay, you—you can go," she stutters, her eyes widened with fear.

She unlocks the door for us, avoiding our eyes. I stare at her with doubt, wondering if she'll call the cops by stupidity.

Oh, right. She won't. They are the criminals.

"I told you to let me talk," I hiss to Andrew, my new partner since a month now.

The worst fucking month of my life.

"We're running out of time," he only replies as bitterly as me, taking off his fake glasses as I roll my eyes.

He removes a couple of blonde strands from his forehead and I scowl. Andrew is a smart guy and he knows it, which means he's always reminding it to every single person he meets.

Annoying smartass.

Gripping his arm before we move, I glare at him.

"Don't do anything stupid, Drake. I don't want to be responsible for that."

He returns my look, but he knows that I'm serious.

I really need to talk to Mr. Neil after this.

*

"What the hell were you thinking? If it wasn't for me saving your ass, you would already just be a memory!"

I cross my arms, waiting for what he has to say this time.

Andrew shakes his head, glaring at me. "Always so sweet, aren't you?"

I raise my eyebrows in shock, stepping towards him.

"That's it? I just saved your life, moron. You could just say something like... thank you?" I say dryly, exhausted by this.

"Enough!" Garry Neil, our boss and the founder of the North Agency exclaims loudly, getting our silence.

He looks at us from behind his square glasses, before he sighs and takes them off. His brown hair already turning grey is curling on the top, and his dark blue eyes hold enough authority to shut you up.