Thirty-one

We walk down a long corridor before reaching another door

We walk down a long corridor before reaching another door. Brandon opens it, and music starts blasting out of nowhere. There are people all around us in dresses and suits, playing poker or with a drink in their hands. Most importantly, there are men positioned in every corner of the room, their weapons evident on them.

A woman in an elegant long dress walks past us. She looks at us, her gaze lingering on Brandon. When she gives him a flirtatious smile, I resist the urge to roll my eyes and clench my jaw instead.

Brandon doesn't give anything away and nods politely at the woman. I notice I'm still holding his hand and release it, looking around me with my eyes slightly narrowed.

"Let's play poker," Brandon proposes, looking around him as well.

"We're not here for that," I mutter, directing my gaze towards the bar section. "Look around for him."

"Looking around like that will make us suspicious. Let's get a drink." Brandon proposes me his arm and I let him lead me towards the bar, admitting that he's right.

"What do you guys see?" Britt asks, and her voice reminds me that she's out there, with us on this mission. Although having her with us is a big help, I don't like it.

"At least twelve men armed. Other than that, no one that looks suspicious for now," I reply, carefully taking a seat next to Brandon.

"He's definitely a protected man," I continue. "Is he afraid of something?"

"Or someone?" Brandon adds, tilting his head towards me.

"He's running what's most likely a criminal organization," Britt states matter-of-factly. "I'm not surprised to hear that, but watch out for your back. That password doesn't reassure me."

"Ah, and why is that?" I mutter under my breath, taking the drink Brandon hands me.

A silence answers me. Then there are a few weird noises, and my heart skips a beat.

"Britt?" I murmur, and I don't like the fear you can hear in my voice.

I knew this was a fucking bad idea.

"Yeah, just wait..." she finally says, and I let out a breath of relief, not missing the way Brandon stares at me. "Something weird just happened outside. A few men joined the ones at the entrance, and they're talking animatedly, but I can't hear anything..."

I share a look with Brandon. He turns his head to look around him, and I focus my gaze on my hands, waiting for Britt to continue.