Sixteen

That night, after our last mission and everything we discovered tonight, something wakes me up.

Alert, I stay still for a moment, eyes wide open. Then I react.

I turn my head to the side towards my nightstand and frown. Sitting up, I grab my phone.

The North Agency's alarm has been activated

Something is going on.

"Shit," I mutter, wondering what I should do now.

Obviously, I don't think twice. I stand up, get dressed, load my arm, and leave my apartment.

Whoever entered the agency will regret it.

*

It's dead silent.

Pitch black. The red alarm still flashes every three seconds, but there's no noise.

Am I too late? Where is everyone? What happened?

Slowly, I head towards Mr. Neil's office, glancing carefully around me. When I reach the office, I peek through the door. Nobody.

I hold my breath while I'm walking farther to make sure not to miss a single thing. I'm at the end of the hall when I see the shadow of a silhouette behind me reflecting on the wall.

Not wasting a second, I whirl around to fight, my trigger ready to be pulled, but a strong hand grips my wrist before I can even do anything. The speed startles me and I look up.

"Don't kill me, it's just me," a familiar voice whispers, and I step back.

"Brandon," I let out as he releases his grip on my wrist.

In the dark, I can barely notice the blue of his eyes fixed on mine.

"What are you doing here?" he asks quietly, looking around.

"The alarm was activated. What's going on? Who entered the agency?"

Brandon takes a deep breath and nods.

"I know. I don't know. And we'll figure that out right now," he responds my three questions, turning his whole body towards me. "Ready?"

I grit my teeth and try my best to convince myself that this is okay. This is okay to reply to him because right now, we're dealing with a situation way more important.

"Are you?" I raise my gun in front of me and start walking away.

Brandon follows me, and we explore the quiet agency. Maybe there's no real danger right now, and that whoever entered is already gone, but we can't be sure of that. Most of the agents are probably locked in their rooms or wherever they are, waiting to know what's going on. But I'm not like that. I can't just hide and wait. I need answers. I need to fight. I need to defend my territory.