Thirty-three

A kiss on my forehead wakes me up.

I mutter under my breath, keeping my eyes closed. It feels like I haven't slept at all, which is most likely true. It was four in the morning when Brandon and I both fell asleep.

Brandon.

Memories resurface, and for the first time in years, a genuine smile makes its way to my lips. It feels... weird.

Then I remember what I'm about to do today and my body automatically tenses. I'm no longer tired, nor smiling.

I flutter my eyes open with difficulty and let out a sigh. Wincing, I wait for my eyes to get used to the light above me before I look to my side. The bed is empty.

Sitting up, I rub my eyes and hear the distinct sound of a shower. Brandon must be there, then.

My stomach drops. I could just leave, right now, without telling him goodbye. But I can't.

Not after last night. Not after I finally let my guards down.

But you shouldn't have, remember? That's bad.

But it's Brandon.

I cling the sheets around me and look around for my clothes. Not finding them, I shrug and pick up one of Brandon's random black t-shirt. It reaches my thighs.

I take a look at Brandon's phone. 7:30 AM.

The sound of the shower stops, and a minute later, Brandon walks out of the bathroom with just a pair of jeans on. He's drying his hair with his towel, still not looking at me. I notice he's shaved.

Once he drops his towel, his eyes fall on me. His lips form a genuine smile.

"Tired?" he asks, walking towards his dresser, his broad shoulders now facing me.

I mumble under my breath for a response and sit down on the bed. He picks up a long sleeve shirt and finishes getting dressed. Turning around again, he raises an eyebrow.

"Hmm?"

I just raise an eyebrow in return. I don't know how to act. It's like I'm sixteen again, damn it. Or maybe it's making me feel guilty to act normally because I know that I'm going to leave and do what he doesn't want me to do.

I'm going to lie. Again.

I shouldn't get attached for that reason. But I think it's already too late.

Brandon walks over to me and offers me his hand. Slowly, I grab it and he puts me on my two feet. He hooks my hands around his neck and places his own around my waist.

"Hi," he simply says, watching me with amused eyes. I narrow mine in doubt.

Okay... so it's not supposed to be awkward, I guess. Does he expect me to kiss him? Hug him? Say something?

What am I supposed to do?

"Hi," I conclude, tilting my head.

He chuckles. "Sweetheart, you don't have to do anything."

I blink. "Did I speak out loud?"