Twenty-six

N/A: Sorry for the long wait. Hope you enjoy the chapter. ❤️
P-S: what do you think of the new cover? :)

*

It's already late when I find Britt in front of her computer. There are no other agents in the room, and I take a few steps towards her, feeling awkward for some reasons.

"Hey," I declare softly to not scare her, although it would take a lot more to do so.

She was focused on whatever she's doing on her computer, but her head whirls towards me and her eyes widen when she notices me.

"Hi," she replies, turning in her chair just as I stop in front of her. Her eyes watch me carefully. "How are you?"

I shrug. "Fine, I guess."

Britt shakes her head. "I should have known. Being kidnapped? No big deal, right?"

I attempt a smirk. Progress, I guess. It feels like a long time ago when I would be the one to talk to Britt first. My best friend. No matter how many times I tried to push her away, she somehow stayed in my life.

I don't deserve it. Not when the only reason I'm talking to her right now is because there's something big going on and she's the only person right now who probably has information and can help.

But there is also another reason why I'm here, and I can't forget it. So I take a deep breath and do what I came here for.

"I wanted to thank you," I start, taking a seat on the chair next to her. "I know you've been working with the others to find me."

"Of course, why wouldn't I?" Britt crosses her arms and bites her bottom lip nervously. "I know you don't feel the same, but you're still my best friend and you were gone. I didn't like that."

Okay. Now I don't know what to say anymore.

I nod slowly. We stare at each other for a few more seconds before she breaks the silence.

"So... the Bird, huh?"

"Really?" I deadpan.

"What? Okay, it sucks to remind it to you, but I didn't get the chance to talk to you about it since that night when you went to that bar..." She pauses, tilting her head. "Why did you go there in the first place, by the way? You had your doubts about it?"

No. I was just looking for my father.

I don't know if I should tell her. Since Brandon and Mr. Neil know, maybe it's time I tell her as well.

But this isn't important for now. There are more important things than my family drama.

I scoff. Family drama. As if.

Britt raises her eyebrow. I clear my throat and focus.

"No, that night was a surprise. Men from The Circle recognized me, and the next day I was kidnapped." I grit my teeth. "I was stupid, fell into a trap..."

I sigh. I'm definitely not telling her everything and she knows it, but talking about my father is not my cup of tea, and I already decided that right now is not the time to tell her about that.