Twenty

I was not expecting this at all. I am genuinely shocked, but for some odd reasons, it makes sense.

It fucking makes sense, even though it doesn't. It shouldn't.

The Bird is with me, he said.

I am the Bird.

When I realize what it means, my feet move on their own.

I am the Bird, whatever that means. And they are the hunters.

How is that possible? Why am I the one they seem to be looking for?

Everything is spinning. If I remember correctly, they were not supposed to hurt the Bird. Yet. So what do they want—

...from me?

"It's her! I'm sure of it! She—Hey!"

I'm running, dodging the fist of a man and the bullet fired in my direction a second later. Some people scream, bottles of alcohol explode, and I jump from a table to land behind the bar.

You really thought I would leave without a fight?

This may be crazy. I don't know whom I am against.

The Circle.

Crouched down, the gun in my hand, I lean my head against the surface behind me and take a deep breath. I protect my head when a dozen of bottles above me explode.

After a moment, I start shooting back from my hidden place. I wipe off the blood of my forehead, wondering where it came from.

Gritting my teeth, I finally shout, "Listen, buddies, I'm not the one you're looking for, so I would really appreciate if you could stop fucking shooting at me!"

Someone laughs dryly.

"Show yourself, Bird. We're not gonna kill you." A pause. "We can't, but if you don't listen..."

A bullet hit another bottle, and I turn my head to the side, grimacing when tiny pieces of glass fly in my direction.

"Are we sure it's her?"

I clench my jaw.

"I'm sure. Anyway, our Bird is ready to be captured. And if it's not her—"

Bang! Bang!

The sound of more bullets cuts him off. This time, I feel like I'm not the target. I carefully stand a little to see what's happening.

Someone else entered the place, but I can't quite see who decided to join us. I take this as my opportunity to either run away before I get killed, or fight back and get answers to my questions.

I'm tempted to do the latter, but I hear Mr. Neil's voice in my head, telling me to do the right things, teaching me the simple rules that I must know as an agent, telling me that he's proud of me, that he can always count on me to obey to the orders and to come back to the agency after every mission.

You're brave, smart, strong, and honest, Sophia. Those are qualities you don't find in a lot of people, these days.