Sneaking Around

My new story Betrothed is coming out on May 1st! I hope y'all check it out!!
_______________________________
Riley kept glancing at Maya and Josh all the way through dinner. There was something off about them, something big.

"Maya honey, are you sure you're okay?" Katy asked her daughter after Josh had finished telling them the story of what happened earlier that day. Maya smiled at her mother in assurance.

"I'm okay, mom. Just lucky that Josh was there." Riley narrowed her eyes at Maya. Something in the way that she said that and then the look she gave Josh afterwards... Although nobody else seemed to pick up on it.

"Yeah! See Katy, now didn't I tell you that choosing Josh would be the right call!" Shawn bragged as he patted Josh on the shoulder and looked back at his wife. Katy rolled her eyes and took a bite out of her spaghetti.

"Thank you, Josh." Katy told him as she reached across the table and rested her hand on Josh's so he can see the real gratitude that came from her. Josh smiled and nodded his head before Katy retracted her hand.

"No problem. Just doing my job." Josh answered before going back to his food. Riley smirked at her uncle. There was definitely something going on between him and Maya, and she was going to find out what.

After dinner Josh had offered to do dishes but before Maya could volunteer to help him out, Riley spoke up and told him she would wash and he could dry and put away. So Maya took this opportunity to finish up some homework.

Shawn, Katy and Auggie had settled down in the living room to watch a movie while Josh and Riley got started on the dishes. For the first few minutes neither of them said anything, Just the sound of running water and dishes being put away could be heard.

"So, did anything else happen between you and Maya today?" Riley asked. Josh new what his niece was doing but it wasn't going to work.

"No, not really. I brought her home and she helped me ice my jaw. That was pretty much it." Josh told her. Riley raised an amused eye brow.

"Do you really need help to ice your jaw though? I mean, it doesn't really take more than one hand to do so." Riley questioned. Now it was Josh's turn to give her an amused look.

"We came home, She grabbed an ice pack from the freezer and she handed it to me so I could put it on my jaw. That's it." Josh answered her question. Riley snickered.

"Was it?" She questioned him. Josh gave her a confused look. "I mean, is that really all that happened here?" She asked him. Now it was Josh's turn to laugh.

"Riley, what do you think happened?" He asked her. She shrugged her shoulders.

"You tell me." She said bluntly. Josh put his hand towel down and turned fully to the side to look at Riley.

"I already told you what happened. I saved her from an obsessive fan and she helped me ice my jaw. I'm sorry to disappoint you but there is nothing left to tell." Josh told her. Riley gave out a sarcastic laugh as she turned the water off and also turned to meet her uncles gaze.

"Are you sure? Because We've not been here for a month and you two are all over each other. Dont think I dont notice the late night talks in your bedroom, the staying out past the time her sessions end at the studio, the constant flirting you two do when your around other people rather you realize it or not, the fact that you feel more comfortable around her than I have seen you with any girl, and lets not forget the little glances and smiles at dinner tonight." Josh swallowed hard, he didn't realize that Riley had been so observant. But if she wanted to play this game then so be it. Game on.

"None of that means anything, the late night talks are about her music and career, I have to stay with her everywhere she goes, we both have flirtatious personalities, I have to be comfortable around her because its my job and she and I just went through something terrifying today, of course we are going to look at each other and make sure that the other one is okay. You want to go all detective on me Riley, go ahead. Just know who you're not the only one that can play this game." Josh teased her. "So try again, Sherlock." Riley smirked.

"Your new screensaver is of you and Maya at a park, every time I mention one of your names to the other one your eyes light up like a Christmas tree, I cant have one conversation with either of you without the other one being brought up by you, You have gotten more protective over her in the last week then I think you are of me and I'm not the only one who's noticed it. Auggie asked me the other day if you and Maya were a couple. Check mate, uncle Josh. Your move." Riley smirked at him. Josh was becoming agitated.

"You and Auggie need to mind your own business. And like I said before, all that proof means nothing. Maya and I have become close friends and that's it." Josh started to walk away but Riley grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

"Hey! You made Auggie and I pack up our entire lives and move across the country leaving everyone we love. As far as I'm concerned, this is our business and the least you could do is be honest with us." Riley snapped at him. Josh took a step towards her.

"Curiosity killed a cat, Riles." And with that he shrugged his arm out of her grasp and left her standing there while he went down the stairs to Maya's music room where he knew she would be.

As he made his way to the music room he could hear her playing the piano and softly singing an original song that she had wrote on her own. He could tell because the lyrics just screamed Maya.

"Homework, huh?" He asked her teasingly. Maya laughed as she scooted over to make room for him on her piano bench.

"I finished it and then decided to work on some music. My music." Josh smiled at her. She was getting more and more confident in herself by the day. He just hoped that one day she could take that confidence and go up against Larry with it.

"It sounds great. Very Maya Hunter if I may say so myself." Josh complimented causing her to brush the keys with her hand while looking down and blushing. Maya looked back up at him and could tell that there was something off about him.

"You okay?" She asked him. Josh looked up at her and shrugged his shoulders.

"I think Riley knows about us. She either knows or she's getting close to figuring it out." Josh admitted to her. Maya shrugged her shoulders.

"So?" She asked. "What's so bad about That?" Josh looked at her like she was crazy.

"Well we agreed to keep things a secret. You know to keep it away from everyone." Josh told her. Maya smiled at him and shook her head.

"We agreed to keep it from my parents, Larry and basically the public eye. We never said anything about Riley." Maya told him. Josh shook his head.

"I know my family, Maya. You dont want Riley to know." Josh informed her. Maya shrugged her shoulders.

"Well it is your family so I'm not going to tell you what to do. But Riley has been on our side since day one. So if there is anyone that would back us up it would be her." Josh looked at Maya and smiled. He knew she was right. "Just think about it." Maya told him.

Josh nodded his head at her. Maya leaned in and kissed him. After a couple of minutes of getting lost in the kiss, Maya got up and pulled her with him.

"Where are we going?" Josh asked her. Maya shrugged her shoulders.

"To your room. I'm in a movie kind of mood now." Josh laughed at her as he followed her up the stairs and into his room praying that nobody in the living room noticed their joined hands.
_______________________________
Hope y'all enjoyed it!! Till next time!