The Aftermath

Hey everyone! I'm really sorry about the super long hiatus! But the good news is I'm done with school and I should have a lot more time to write and publish! Thank you all for being so incredibly patient with me and I hope you enjoy this!!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Neither Josh or Maya let go of the others hand as they made their trip back to their hotel. Neither of them said a word either. Riley had decided that she was going to ride back with Farkle and show him just exactly where they were staying. Both them had forgotten about their fight and why Josh was mad at her with what had just gone down. Both of them were quite and refused to let go of each other for different reasons.

After what had happened, Maya felt a sense of safety knowing that Josh was with her. It had really been the first time that she had been threatened like that since the whole thing with that fan over at the mall, but even then Maya wasn't really in any kind of danger, at least not like this. She was terrified beyond belief, and if it weren't for Josh, God only knows what would have happened.

To any other 'bodyguard' they would have just been doing their job. For Josh he had been protecting the girl that he was currently head over heels for. Although Josh didnt show it, he was terrified at what had happened today. He had for the first time in a while, found himself thinking of every Sensi he had ever had in martial arts and mentally thanking them for teaching him so well.

As they got to the hotel, Josh let go of Maya's hand hesitantly to put the car in park and turn off the ignition. he glanced over at her and saw that she had her head leaned on the window with a look of brokenness on her face.

"Are you okay?" Josh asked her for the first time since they had been in the car. As if he had shouted, Maya jumped a little as she looked over at him and slightly nodded.

"Thanks to you." She said her voice cracking a little. Josh pursed his lips together as he opened his car door.

"Come on, you need some water." He told her as he fully got out of the car and walked over to the passenger side. Maya was already out by the time he got there and he noticed the tear stains on her face. He sighed as he saw there were some people already looking their way. "Here." Josh said as he opened the backseat door and grabbed a NYU hat that had been laying there. "Put this on, it will make you less noticeable." He told her. Maya nodded her head as she put it on. Josh took it upon himself to close her door and then grab her hand in, smiling as he felt her relax upon his touch.

As they were walking in towards the hotel, Josh looked over to see Farkle and Riley sitting in his car talking. Josh narrowed his eyes as he saw that Farkle had his arm around Riley's shoulder as she talked. Josh didnt know Farkle very well, but he trusted Maya. So he knew that for the time being, Riley was in good hands.

As they made their way into the hotel, their were already reports everywhere trying ton get Maya's picture in the lobby.

"Maya! Maya! Over here!"

"Maya how do you feel after this afternoons events?"

"Maya is it true that you were almost physically attacked?"

"Is this the man that saved you?"

"Isn't this your new bodyguard that you hired a few months ago?"

"Why are you two holding hands?"

"Are you dating?"

Flashes were going off everywhere while everyone stuck their cameras and microphones in Maya's face. Maya put her head down as the top of the hat hid her face from being seen by the reporters. Josh let go of Maya's hand but then replaced it by putting an arm over her shoulders and bringing her close to his chest as if to protect her from the never ending, sea of people trying to get her picture and a statement.

"Come on guys, make some room!" Josh yelled out to them as he pulled her into the elevator. "Maya doesnt have anything to say right now." Josh told them all as the elevator doors closed and they were finally met with silence.

It took a few seconds for Josh to notice that Maya's whole body was shaking as her voice was racked with sobs.

"I hate my life, I hate it." She whispered so low that Josh barley heard her. Josh sighed as he brought her into his chest and let her cry on his shoulder. Maya buried her head into his chest as her arms came to rest on her chest and Josh's hands were wrapped around her shoulders.

Being able to see what Maya has gone through today was a wake up call to Josh about how her life truly was. Sure, none of this excuses the way that she had treated him with Shawn, but for right now that didnt seem to be important. He had to put aside being her boyfriend and just be her bodyguard and friend.

The elevator doors opened and Josh pulled Maya out and into her and Riley's room. Maya fumbled with the keycard, so Josh gently took it from her hands and swiped it into the key holder so it would open. After he did that, he let Maya go in first before shutting the door and placing the key card down on the dresser.

He looked up to see Maya slide against the wall that was by her bed and put her face into her knees. He sighed as he started to hear her sob again.

"Maya." He started as he tried to step near her but she shook her head.

"I'm sorry, Please I just want to be alone right now." She told him quietly through her sobs. Josh nodded his head as he leaned down and kissed her on the head before getting up to head outside of the room. As he turned in the hallway he saw Farkle and Riley make their way over towards him.

"How is she?" Riley asked. Josh could tell from the puffiness of her eyes, she had been crying to.

"She wants to be by herself right now. I think the reality of it all is starting to hit her hard. Those reporters downstairs didnt help too much." Josh said as his jaw clenched as the images of them all up in her face came back to him.

"No offence, Josh. But this might be a job for a best friend instead of a boyfriend." Farkle told him. Josh stared at him for a second before nodding his head and stepping out of the way. Riley gave Farkle her keycard and with one swipe, the door separated him and Maya from Josh and Riley.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

More chapters to come! Stay tune!