01 | Encounters

LOVE DIDN'T EXIST

LOVE DIDN'T EXIST. Or love at first sight, at least.

That's what I had always thought. To truly love someone, you'd have to truly know them. You'd have to know their favorite books, their likes and dislikes, insecurities, why they couldn't eat toasted waffles, and many, many more things. 

Why didn't they like it when you gave them little pecks on the cheek? Why didn't they want you staring at them whilst they did a little dance? Things like that, the small things, were what made it feel like you knew almost everything about them, and so much more.

Things like that made little flowers bloom inside your heart. Things like that made your stomach jump and your lips curl into a soft smile. 

But if it didn't feel that way at all, then why were you wasting your time?

Though I didn't care at all about those things, not a bit. Maybe it was just that I hadn't found the right one. Maybe I didn't have the looks, the ego, the demeanor to have girls falling down at my feet for my own entertainment.

I mean, I wasn't ugly nor was I drop-dead gorgeous - okay, maybe I did look pretty good from time to time - yet I wasn't so desperate on finding my one true love. Different girls would come and go into my life, each with a different personality, but none had sparked my interest like... you.

My mind went blank as you stood in front of the class, tugging nervously on the sleeves of your sweater. You looked nervous and uncomfortable, but I couldn't blame you. This class was... yeesh.

"Hello, my name is Mabel Clark. I'm from British Columbia and I hope we get along well," your short introduction sounded throughout the quiet room. All eyes were trained on you as the soft shuffling of your shoes led you towards the empty seat beside me.

My breathing had hitched. I didn't know why my cheeks were so warm. I didn't know why my palms were suddenly so sweaty. I didn't know why my heart was racing as you silently slid into the seat beside me. What was that feeling?

Agh, I'd been too much of an idiot to notice what my mind was telling me then.

But little did I know, this was only the beginning.

₪₪₪₪₪

Welcome to the re-written and, hopefully, better version of Oh, Mabel Clark! I've been working on the rewrite since 2017, and it's finally here. 

It wasn't that it was difficult, I'm just very good at procrastinating. But, aside from that, I present to you all Oh, Mabel Clark: Version 2.0!

The chapters will now be longer and more detailed, giving you more information than my older, crappier version. Hopefully it'll entertain you all more.

Happy readings!

~ Fondre