13 | First Kisses

I DIDN'T KNOW how to feel, Mabel

I DIDN'T KNOW how to feel, Mabel. Should I have cried? I didn't know what to do in that moment, I couldn't feel anything. My heart was beating so rapidly, it felt as if it were going to explode. Tears immediately pricked my eyes though I silently swore to myself that I wouldn't cry.

In a haste, I quickly enveloped you in a tight hug, resting my chin atop of your head and squeezing you tightly. "Why are you crying, Mabel? Why should you apologize when you're not able to control what happens?"

"I could've, and I should've. The second I felt something was wrong, I should've told my mother. I wouldn't be like this," you wailed. I felt my heart clench.

"Wouldn't be like what? There's nothing wrong with you, why're you saying these things?" I asked hesitantly. I hadn't been the best comforter, I couldn't even hug you properly. And I told myself that I had special feelings for you?

"Oh, stop it, Jacob! You know very well there's something wrong with me. Don't act as if I'm not going to die in a few more months." You pulled away from my embrace, staring at me with wide eyes.

"Die? Did you forget that people will be sad if you die?"

"Yes, Jacob, I'm going to die! I have Leukemia - I'm not going to live forever. I could've been normal, but I'm not now. I had a chance to prevent things from happening as they did and I completely ruined it!" Your voice rose with every word and your hands balled into fists.

"Prevent what from happening? I don't understand, you're still here. You're still living. Your time isn't over, Mabel." I slipped my hand into yours, squeezing tightly. "Let's just... live, and what happens will happen."

You sniffed quietly, staring down at our hands, your dark skin contrasting against my pale hand.

I knew you had more to say, I felt you hesitating. You opened your mouth to say something, but thought against it. It seemed as if you didn't want to argue over it anymore.

"I'll try, but don't expect me to be the best at it or anything," you murmured. Your head raised, gazing up at me with an intense stare. There were tears in your eyes, but your voice was calmer now. "Just do me a favor, please..."

"Yes, Mabel?"

You took a deep breath, releasing your hand from my hold. I frowned deeply as you rose, signaling for me to do the same. "I'd like to hang out with you for the rest of my life, but I know that's damn near impossible," you began. "Just kiss me and forget I'm dying."

With no second wasted, I'd quickly cupped your soft cheeks, planting a longing kiss to your lips. I couldn't believe myself, nor what I was feeling at that moment then, but I didn't want it to end. I didn't want it to go away.

I slowly pulled away with wide eyes, amazed at how magical it felt. "You're fine, but please, tell me, why did you ask this?"

"I couldn't hold back from saying it. It was on the tip of my tongue, I was just waiting for it to slip out. You can probably guess how I feel now."

"What do you mean?"

You hesitated. That, I noticed. "I've fallen for you even though you probably don't care about that anymore. But I love you, just a little." You blushed.

"A little?" I laughed loudly. "I'm not complaining, a little is more than enough for me," I grinned happily, pressing another kiss to your lips. "I hope we can always be together, somehow. You know?"

"I know," you sighed sadly.

But that evening, I walked home feeling unusually giddy.

₪₪₪₪₪